This PDF is the current document as it appeared on Public Inspection on 03/19/2012 at 08:45 am.
Draft interim staff guidance; request for comment.
The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC or the Commission) requests public comment on draft license renewal interim staff guidance (LR-ISG), LR-ISG-2011-04, “Updated Aging Management Criteria for PWR Reactor Vessel Internal Components.” This draft LR-ISG revises the guidance in the Standard Review Plan for Review of License Renewal Applications for Nuclear Power Plants (SRP-LR) and Generic Aging Lessons Learned (GALL) Report for the aging management of stainless steel structures and components exposed to treated borated water.
Submit comments by May 21, 2012. Comments received after this date will be considered, if it is practical to do so, but the NRC staff is able to ensure consideration only for comments received on or before this date.
You may access information and comment submissions related to this document by searching on http://www.regulations.gov under Docket ID NRC-2012-0070.
You may submit comments by the following methods:
- Federal Rulemaking Web site: Go to http://www.regulations.gov and search for Docket ID NRC-2012-0070. Address questions about NRC dockets to Carol Gallagher; telephone: 301-492-3668; email: Carol.Gallagher@nrc.gov.
- Mail comments to: Cindy Bladey, Chief, Rules, Announcements, and Directives Branch (RADB), Office of Administration, Mail Stop: TWB-05-B01M, U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Washington, DC 20555-0001.
- Fax comments to: RADB at 301-492-3446.
For additional direction on accessing information and submitting comments, see “Accessing Information and Submitting Comments” in the SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION section of this document.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Mr. James Medoff, Division of License Renewal, Office of Nuclear Reactor Regulation, U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Washington, DC 20555-0001; telephone: 301-415-2715; email: James.Medoff@nrc.gov.
Accessing Information and Submitting Comments
A. Accessing Information
Please refer to Docket ID NRC-2012-0070 when contacting the NRC about the availability of information regarding this document. You may access information related to this document by the following methods:
- Federal Rulemaking Web Site: Go to http://www.regulations.gov and search for Docket ID NRC-2012-0070.
- NRC's Agencywide Documents Access and Management System (ADAMS): You may access publicly-available documents online in the NRC Library at http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/adams.html. To begin the search, select “ADAMS Public Documents” and then select “Begin Web-based ADAMS Search.” For problems with ADAMS, please contact the NRC's Public Document Room (PDR) reference staff at 1-800-397-4209, 301-415-4737, or by email to email@example.com. Draft LR-ISG-2011-04 is available electronically under ADAMS Accession No. ML12004A149. The GALL Report and SRP-LR are available under ADAMS Accession Nos. ML103490041 and ML103490036, respectively.
- NRC's PDR: You may examine and purchase copies of public documents at the NRC's PDR, Room O1-F21, One White Flint North, 11555 Rockville Pike, Rockville, Maryland 20852.
- NRC's Interim Staff Guidance Web Site: The LR-ISG documents are also available online under http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/isg/license-renewal.html.
B. Submitting Comments
Please include Docket ID NRC-2012-0070 in the subject line of your comment submission, in order to ensure that the NRC is able to make your comment submission available to the public in this docket.
The NRC cautions you not to include identifying or contact information in comment submissions that you do not want to be publicly disclosed. The NRC posts all comment submissions at http://www.regulations.gov as well as entering the comment submissions into ADAMS, and the NRC does not edit comment submissions to remove identifying or contact information.
If you are requesting or aggregating comments from other persons for submission to the NRC, then you should inform those persons not to include identifying or contact information in their comment submissions that they do not want to be publicly disclosed. Your request should state that the NRC will not edit comment submissions to remove such information before making the comment submissions available to the public or entering the comment submissions into ADAMS.
The NRC issues LR-ISGs to communicate insights and lessons learned and to address emergent issues not covered in license renewal guidance documents, such as the GALL Report and SRP-LR. In this way, the NRC staff and stakeholders may use the guidance in an LR-ISG document before it is incorporated into a formal license renewal guidance document revision. The NRC staff issues LR-ISG in accordance with the LR-ISG Process, Revision 2 (ADAMS Accession No. ML100920158); for which a notice of availability was published in the Federal Register on June 22, 2010 (75 FR 35510).
The NRC staff has determined that existing guidance in the SRP-LR and GALL Report needs to be revised for PWR reactor vessel internal components. The guidance document changes that are proposed in draft LR-ISG-2011-04 are based on the conclusions of the NRC's revised safety evaluation (ADAMS Accession No. ML11308A770).
By this action, the NRC is requesting public comments on draft LR-ISG-2011-04. This LR-ISG proposes certain revisions to NRC guidance in the SRP-LR and GALL Report. The NRC staff will make a final determination regarding issuance of the LR-ISG after it considers any public comments received in response to this request.
Dated at Rockville, Maryland, this 13th day of March, 2012.
For the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
Melanie A. Galloway,
Acting Director, Division of License Renewal, Office of Nuclear Reactor Regulation.
[FR Doc. 2012-6694 Filed 3-19-12; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 7590-01-P