This PDF is the current document as it appeared on Public Inspection on 02/13/2013 at 08:45 am.
National Agricultural Statistics Service, USDA.
Notice and request for comments.
In accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995, this notice announces the intention of the National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS) to request revision and extension of a currently approved information collection, the Nursery and Floriculture Chemical Use Survey. Revision to burden hours will be needed due to changes in the size of the target population, sampling design, and/or questionnaire length.
Comments on this notice must be received by April 15, 2013 to be assured of consideration.
You may submit comments, identified by docket number 0535-0244, by any of the following methods:
- Email: email@example.com. Include docket number above in the subject line of the message.
- Fax: (202) 720-6396.
- Mail: Mail any paper, disk, or CD-ROM submissions to: David Hancock, NASS Clearance Officer, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Room 5336 South Building, 1400 Independence Avenue SW., Washington, DC 20250-2024.
- Hand Delivery/Courier: Hand deliver to: David Hancock, NASS Clearance Officer, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Room 5336 South Building, 1400 Independence Avenue SW., Washington, DC 20250-2024.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Joseph T. Reilly, Associate Administrator, National Agricultural Statistics Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture, (202) 720-4333.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
Title: Nursery and Christmas Tree Production Survey and Nursery and Floriculture Chemical Use Survey.
OMB Control Number: 0535-0244.
Expiration Date of Approval: June 30, 2013.
Type of Request: Intent to revise and extend a currently approved information collection for a period of three years.
Abstract: The primary objective of the National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS) is to prepare and issue State and national estimates of crop and livestock production, prices, and disposition, as well as economic statistics, environmental statistics related to agriculture and also to conduct the Census of Agriculture. This includes estimates of production and value of key nursery products and chemical use by nursery and floriculture production operations.
- As nursery production continues to be one of the fastest growing segments of American agriculture, the Nursery Production and Christmas Tree Survey will update the production and economic contribution of the nursery industry to U.S. agriculture every 3 years by conducting a census of nursery and greenhouse operations with sales over $10,000 in the 17 major producing States. These operations will receive the production questionnaire by mail with telephone and personal interview follow-up for non-response.Start Printed Page 10598
- The Nursery and Floriculture Chemical Use Survey, is conducted every 3 years in conjunction with the production survey mentioned above. It measures chemical usage, related to the production of nursery and floriculture crops in six major producing States. The resulting publication is part of the NASS series on Agricultural Chemical Usage, and it summarizes rates of application, total amount of active ingredients applied, and use of pest management practices. NASS collects on-farm chemical use data to enhance the quality of information used in the evaluation of issues related to agricultural chemicals, including pesticide registrations. Pest management data are used to measure integrated pest management adoption levels and evaluate the impact of alternative pesticide regulations, policies, and practices. A sample of nursery and floriculture operations with sales over $10,000 in the major States will be personally interviewed, since chemical use data are not accurately collected by telephone or mail.
- A nursery production survey and a Christmas tree production survey are conducted every year in Oregon.
Signed at Washington, DC, January 31, 2013.
Joseph T. Reilly,
[FR Doc. 2013-03219 Filed 2-13-13; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 3410-20-P