The Department of Justice (DOJ), Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), will submit the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and approval in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The proposed information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted for “sixty days” until February 18, 2014. This process is conducted in accordance with 5 CFR 1320.10.
If you have comments especially on the estimated public burden or associated response time, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions or additional information, please contact Amy Stely at email@example.com, or at National Firearms Act Branch, 244 Needy Road, Martinsburg, WV 25405.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information are encouraged. Your comments should address one or more of the following four points:
—Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
—Evaluate the accuracy of the agency's estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
—Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
—Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Summary of Information Collection
(1) Type of Information Collection: Extension of a currently approved collection.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: National Firearms Act (NFA)—Special Occupation Taxes (SOT).
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department of Justice sponsoring the collection: Form Number: ATF F 5630.5R, ATF F 5630.5RC, and ATF F 5630.7. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief
abstract: Primary: Business or other for-profit. Other: None.
Need for Collection
ATF F 5630.7, NFA Special Tax Registration and Return National Firearms Act is completed and returned by businesses that are subject to Special Occupation Taxes under the National Firearms Act for either initial tax payment or business information changes. This form serves as both a return and a business registration. ATF F 5630.5R, NFA Special Tax Renewal Registration and Return and ATF F 5630.5RC, NFA Special Tax Location Registration Listing are preprinted forms sent to taxpayers who pay Special Occupational Taxes under the National Firearms Act. Taxpayers validate/correct the information and send the forms back with payment for the applicable tax year.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated
for an average respondent to respond: It is estimated that 6,000 taxpayers will complete forms ATF F 5630.5R and ATF F 5630.5RC in approximately 20 minutes (10 minutes for each form). It is also estimated that 350 new taxpayers will complete ATF F 5630.7 in its entirety in approximately 15 minutes. The total number of respondents for this information collection is 6,350.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: The total burden for ATF F 5630.5R and ATF F 5630.5RC is 2,000 hours. The total burden for ATF F 5630.7 is 88 hours. The estimated total public burden associated with this information collection is 2,088 hours.
If additional information is required contact: Jerri Murray, Department Clearance Officer, Policy and Planning Staff, Justice Management Division, Department of Justice, Two Constitution Square, 145 N Street NE., Room 3W-1407B, Washington, DC 20530.
Dated: December 16, 2013.
Department Clearance Officer for PRA, U.S. Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. 2013-30242 Filed 12-19-13; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-FY-P