Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), HHS.
Notice of meeting.
This notice announces a meeting of the Advisory Panel on Outreach and Education (APOE) (the Panel) in accordance with the Federal Advisory Committee Act. The Panel advises and makes recommendations to the Secretary of Health and Human Services and the Administrator of the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services on opportunities to enhance the effectiveness of consumer education strategies concerning Health Insurance Marketplace, Medicare, Medicaid, and the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP). This meeting is open to the public.
Meeting Date: Monday, March 17, 2014, 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. eastern daylight time (e.d.t.).
Deadline for Meeting Registration, Presentations and Comments: Monday, March 3, 2014, 5:00 p.m., e.d.t.
Deadline for Requesting Special Accommodations: Monday, March 3, 2014, 5:00 p.m., e.d.t.
Meeting Location: Department of Health & Human Services, Hubert H. Humphrey Building, 200 Independence Avenue SW., Room 705A, Washington, DC 20201.
Presentations and Written Comments: Kirsten Knutson, Acting Designated Federal Official (DFO), Division of Forum and Conference Development, Office of Communications, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, 7500 Security Boulevard, Mailstop S1-13-05, Baltimore, MD 21244-1850 or contact Ms. Knutson via email at Kirsten.Knutson@cms.hhs.gov.
Registration: The meeting is open to the public, but attendance is limited to the space available. Persons wishing to attend this meeting must register at the Web site http://events.SignUp4.com/APOEMAR2014MTG or by contacting the DFO at the address listed in the ADDRESSES section of this notice or by telephone at number listed in the FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT section of Start Printed Page 10167this notice, by the date listed in the DATES section of this notice. Individuals requiring sign language interpretation or other special accommodations should contact the DFO at the address listed in the ADDRESSES section of this notice by the date listed in the DATES section of this notice. In accordance with the Department of Health & Human Services standards, and an effort for the public to engage virtually in the open meetings, this APOE meeting will be available to view via live web streaming by visiting the link www.cms.gov/live during the designated time of the meeting.
Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Kirsten Knutson, (410) 786-5886. Additional information about the APOE is available on the Internet at: http://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and Guidance/Guidance/FACA/APOE.html. Press inquiries are handled through the CMS Press Office at (202) 690-6145.
End Further Info
Start Supplemental Information
In accordance with section 10(a) of the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA), this notice announces a meeting of the Advisory Panel on Outreach and Education (APOE) (the Panel). Section 9(a)(2) of the Federal Advisory Committee Act authorizes the Secretary of Health and Human Services (the Secretary) to establish an advisory panel if the Secretary determines that the panel is “in the public interest in connection with the performance of duties imposed . . . by law.” Such duties are imposed by section 1804 of the Social Security Act (the Act), requiring the Secretary to provide informational materials to Medicare beneficiaries about the Medicare program, and section 1851(d) of the Act, requiring the Secretary to provide for “activities . . . to broadly disseminate information to [M]edicare beneficiaries . . . on the coverage options provided under [Medicare Advantage] in order to promote an active, informed selection among such options.”
The Panel is also authorized by section 1114(f) of the Act (42 U.S.C. 1314(f)) and section 222 of the Public Health Service Act (42 U.S.C. 217a). The Secretary signed the charter establishing this Panel on January 21, 1999 (64 FR 7899, February 17, 1999) and approved the renewal of the charter on December 18, 2012 (78 FR 105, May, 31, 2013).
Pursuant to the amended charter, the Panel advises and makes recommendations to the Secretary of Health and Human Services and the Administrator of the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) concerning optimal strategies for the following:
- Developing and implementing education and outreach programs for individuals enrolled in, or eligible for, Health Insurance Marketplace, Medicare, Medicaid and the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP).
- Enhancing the federal government's effectiveness in informing Health Insurance Marketplace, Medicare, Medicaid and CHIP consumers, providers and stakeholders pursuant to education and outreach programs of issues regarding these and other health coverage programs, including the appropriate use of public-private partnerships to leverage the resources of the private sector in educating beneficiaries, providers and stakeholders.
- Expanding outreach to vulnerable and underserved communities, including racial and ethnic minorities, in the context of Health Insurance Marketplace, Medicare, Medicaid and CHIP education programs.
- Assembling and sharing an information base of “best practices” for helping consumers evaluate health plan options.
- Building and leveraging existing community infrastructures for information, counseling and assistance.
- Drawing the program link between outreach and education, promoting consumer understanding of health care coverage choices and facilitating consumer selection/enrollment, which in turn support the overarching goal of improved access to quality care, including prevention services, envisioned under health care reform.
The current members of the Panel are: Joseph Baker, President, Medicare Rights Center; Philip Bergquist, Manager, Health Center Operations, CHIPRA Outreach & Enrollment Project and Director, Michigan Primary Care Association; Marjorie Cadogan, Executive Deputy Commissioner, Department of Social Services; Jonathan Dauphine, Senior Vice President, AARP; Barbara Ferrer, Executive Director, Boston Public Health Commission; Shelby Gonzales, Senior Health Outreach Associate, Center on Budget & Policy Priorities; Jan Henning, Benefits Counseling & Special Projects Coordinator, North Central Texas Council of Governments' Area Agency on Aging; Sandy Markwood, Chief Executive Officer, National Association of Area Agencies on Aging; Miriam Mobley-Smith, Dean, Chicago State University, College of Pharmacy; Ana Natale-Pereira, Associate Professor of Medicine, University of Medicine & Dentistry of New Jersey; Megan Padden, Vice President, Sentara Health Plans; Winston Wong, Medical Director, Community Benefit Director, Kaiser Permanente.
The agenda for the March 17, 2014 meeting will include the following:
- Welcome and Listening Session with CMS Leadership
- Recap of the Previous (September 16, 2013) Meeting
- Affordable Care Act Initiatives
- An Opportunity for Public Comment
- Meeting Summary, Review of Recommendations and Next Steps
Individuals or organizations that wish to make a 5-minute oral presentation on an agenda topic should submit a written copy of the oral presentation to the DFO at the address listed in the ADDRESSES section of this notice by the date listed in the DATES section of this notice. The number of oral presentations may be limited by the time available. Individuals not wishing to make a presentation may submit written comments to the DFO at the address listed in the ADDRESSES section of this notice by the date listed in the DATES section of this notice.
(Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance Program No. 93.733, Medicare—Hospital Insurance Program; and Program No. 93.774, Medicare—Supplementary Medical Insurance Program)
End Supplemental Information
Dated: February 12, 2014.
Administrator, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services.
[FR Doc. 2014-03909 Filed 2-21-14; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4120-01-P