Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
Exemption and combined license amendment; issuance.
The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) is granting an exemption to allow a departure from the certification information of Tier 1 of the generic design control document (DCD) and issuing License Amendment No. 12 to Combined Licenses (COL) NPF-93 and NPF-94. The COLs were issued to South Carolina Electric and Gas (SCE&G) and South Carolina Public Service Authority (Santee Cooper) (the licensee), for construction and operation of the Virgil C. Summer Nuclear Station (VCSNS), Units 2 and 3 located in Fairfield County, South Carolina. The amendment consists of changes to the updated final safety analysis report (UFSAR) for VCSNS Units 2 and 3 (including the plant-specific Tier 1 Table 3.3-1 and Figure 3.3-11B) and the corresponding Table 3.3-1 and Figure 3.3-11B of Appendix C to the Facility COLs. The granting of the exemption allows the changes to Tier 1 information as specified in the license amendment request (LAR). Because the acceptability of the exemption was determined in part by the acceptability of the amendment, the exemption and amendment are being issued concurrently.
Please refer to Docket ID NRC-2008-0441 when contacting the NRC about the availability of information regarding this document. You may obtain publicly-available information related to this document, using any of the following methods:
Start Further Info
- Federal Rulemaking Web site: Go to http://www.regulations.gov and search for Docket ID NRC-2008-0441. Address questions about NRC dockets to Carol Gallagher; telephone: 301-287-3422; email: Carol.Gallagher@nrc.gov. For technical questions, contact the individual listed in the FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT section of this document.
- NRC's Agencywide Documents Access and Management System (ADAMS): You may obtain publicly-available documents online in the ADAMS Public Documents Collection at http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/adams.html. To begin the search, select “ADAMS Public Documents” and then select “Begin Web-based ADAMS Search.” For problems with ADAMS, please contact the NRC's Public Document Room (PDR) reference staff at 1-800-397-4209, 301-415-4737, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The ADAMS accession number for each document referenced in this document (if that document is available in ADAMS) is provided the first time that a document is referenced.
- NRC's PDR: You may examine and purchase copies of public documents at the NRC's PDR, Room O1-F21, One White Flint North, 11555 Rockville Pike, Rockville, Maryland 20852.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Denise McGovern, Office of New Reactors, U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Washington, DC 20555-0001; telephone: 301-415-0681; email: Denise.McGovern@nrc.gov.
End Further Info
Start Supplemental Information
The NRC is granting an exemption from Paragraph B of Section III, “Scope and Contents,” of Appendix D, “Design Certification Rule for the AP1000 Design,” to Part 52 of Title 10 of the Code of Federal Regulations (10 CFR) and issuing License Amendment No. 12 to COLs, NPF-93 and NPF-94, to the licensee. The request for the amendment and exemption were submitted by letter dated July 30, 2013 (ADAMS Accession No. ML13213A040). The licensee revised this request on August 7, 2013 (ADAMS Accession No. ML13225A445), and September 5, 2013 (ADAMS Accession No. ML13252A186). The exemption is required by Paragraph A.4 of Section VIII, “Processes for Changes and Departures,” Appendix D to 10 CFR Part 52 to allow the licensee to depart from Tier 1 information. With the requested amendment, the licensee sought to changing the Turbine Building structures and layout by: (1) Changing the door location on the motor-driven fire pump room in the Turbine Building, (2) clarifying the column line designations for the southwest and southeast walls of the Turbine Building first bay, (3) changing the floor to ceiling heights at three different elevations in the Turbine Building main area, and (4) increasing elevations and wall thickness in certain walls of the Turbine Building first Bay.
Part of the justification for granting the exemption was provided by the review of the amendment. Because the exemption is necessary in order to issue the requested license amendment, the Start Printed Page 46878NRC granted the exemption and issued the amendment concurrently, rather than in sequence. This included issuing a combined safety evaluation containing the NRC staff's review of both the exemption request and the license amendment. The exemption met all applicable regulatory criteria set forth in 10 CFR 50.12, 10 CFR 52.7, and Section VIII.A.4 of Appendix D to 10 CFR Part 52. The license amendment was found to be acceptable as well. The combined safety evaluation is available in ADAMS under Accession No. ML14120A445.
Identical exemption documents (except for referenced unit numbers and license numbers) were issued to the licensee for VCSNS Units 2 and 3 (COLs NPF-93 and NPF-94). These documents can be found in ADAMS under Accession Nos. ML14120A422 and ML14120A426. The exemption is reproduced (with the exception of abbreviated titles and additional citations) in Section II of this document. The amendment documents for COLs NPF-93 and NPF-94 are available in ADAMS under Accession Nos. ML14120A411 and ML14120A416. A summary of the amendment documents is provided in Section III of this document.
Reproduced below is the exemption document issued to VCSNS Units 2 and 3. It makes reference to the combined safety evaluation that provides the reasoning for the findings made by the NRC (and listed under Item 1) in order to grant the exemption:
1. In a letter dated July 30, 2013 and as revised by the letters dated August 7 and September 5, 2013, South Carolina Electric & Gas Company (licensee) requested from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (Commission) an exemption from the provisions of Title 10 of the Code of Federal Regulations (10 CFR) Part 52, Appendix D, Section III.B, “Design Certification Rule for the AP1000 Design, Scope, and Contents,” as part of license amendment request (LAR 13-13), “Changes to the Structures and Layout of the Turbine Building.”
For the reasons set forth in Section 3.1 of the NRC staff's Safety Evaluation, which can be found at ADAMS Accession No. ML14120A445, the Commission finds that:
A. The exemption is authorized by law;
B. the exemption presents no undue risk to public health and safety;
C. the exemption is consistent with the common defense and security;
D. special circumstances are present in that the application of the rule in this circumstance is not necessary to serve the underlying purpose of the rule;
E. the special circumstances outweigh any decrease in safety that may result from the reduction in standardization caused by the exemption; and
F. the exemption will not result in a significant decrease in the level of safety otherwise provided by the design.
2. Accordingly, the licensee is granted an exemption to the provisions of 10 CFR Part 52, Appendix D, Section III.B, to allow deviations from the certified DCD Tier 1 Table 3.3-1 and Figure 3.3-11B, as described in the licensee's request dated July 30, 2013 and revised on August 7 and September 5, 2013. This exemption is related to, and necessary for the granting of License Amendment No. 12, which is being issued concurrently with this exemption.
3. As explained in Section 5.0 of the NRC staff Safety Evaluation (ADAMS Accession No. ML14120A445), this exemption meets the eligibility criteria for categorical exclusion set forth in 10 CFR 51.22(c)(9). Therefore, pursuant to 10 CFR 51.22(b), no environmental impact statement or environmental assessment needs to be prepared in connection with the issuance of the exemption.
4. This exemption is effective as of May 12, 2014.
III. License Amendment Request
By letter dated July 30, 2013, the licensee requested that the NRC amend the COLs for VCSNS Units 2 and 3, COLs NPF-93 and NPF-94. The licensee revised this application on August 7, and September 5, 2013. The proposed amendment would depart from Tier 2 Material previously incorporated into the UFSAR. Additionally, these Tier 2 changes involve changes to Tier 1 Information in the UFSAR, and the proposed amendment would also revise the associated material that has been included in Appendix C of each of the VCSNS, Units 2 and 3 COLs. The requested amendment will revise the Tier 2 UFSAR information pertaining to the structures and layout of the turbine building, found throughout the UFSAR. These Tier 2 changes require modifications to particular information located in Tier 1 Table 3.3-1 and Figure 3.3-11B.
The Commission has determined for these amendments that the application complies with the standards and requirements of the Atomic Energy Act of 1954, as amended (the Act), and the Commission's rules and regulations. The Commission has made appropriate findings as required by the Act and the Commission's rules and regulations in 10 CFR Chapter I, which are set forth in the license amendment.
A notice of consideration of issuance of amendment to facility operating license or combined license, as applicable, proposed no significant hazards consideration determination, and opportunity for a hearing in connection with these actions, was published in the Federal Register on October 1, 2013 (78 FR 60321). No comments were received during the 60-day comment period.
The Commission has determined that these amendments satisfy the criteria for categorical exclusion in accordance with 10 CFR 51.22. Therefore, pursuant to 10 CFR 51.22(b), no environmental impact statement or environmental assessment need be prepared for these amendments.
Using the reasons set forth in the combined safety evaluation, the staff granted the exemption and issued the amendment that the licensee requested on July 30, 2013 and revised by letter dated, August 7, and September 5, 2013. The exemption and amendment were issued on May 12, 2014 as part of a combined package to the licensee (ADAMS Accession No. ML14120A364).
End Supplemental Information
Dated at Rockville, Maryland, this 1st day of August 2014.
For the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
Denise L. McGovern,
Senior Project Manager, Licensing Branch 4, Division of New Reactor Licensing, Office of New Reactors.
[FR Doc. 2014-18970 Filed 8-8-14; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 7590-01-P