60-Day Notice of Information collection for review; Form No. I-901; Fee Remittance for Certain F, J and M Non-immigrants; OMB Control No. 1653-0034.
The Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (USICE), is submitting the following information collection request for review and clearance in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The information collection is published in the Federal Register to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted for sixty day until November 24, 2014.
Written comments and suggestions regarding items contained in this notice and especially with regard to the estimated public burden and associated response time should be directed to the Office of Chief Information Office, Forms Management Office, U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement, 801 I Street NW., Mailstop 5800, Washington, DC 20536-5800.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information should address one or more of the following four points:
(1) Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of the agencies estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of This Information Collection
(1) Type of Information Collection: Extension, with changes, of a currently approved information collection.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: Fee Remittance for Certain F, J and M Non-immigrants.
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department of Homeland Security sponsoring the collection: Form I-901, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: Individuals or households. Public Law 104-208, Subtitle D, Section 641 directs the Attorney General, in consultation with the Secretary of State and the Secretary of Education, to develop and conduct a program to collect information on nonimmigrant foreign students and exchange visitors from approved institutions of higher education, as defined in section 101(a) of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended or in a program of study at any other DHS approved academic or language-training institution, to include approved private elementary and secondary schools and public secondary schools, and from approved exchange visitor program sponsors designated by the Department of State (DOS). It also authorized a fee, not to exceed $200, to be collected from these students and exchange visitors to support this information collection program. DHS has implemented the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) to carry out this statutory requirement.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: 805,786 responses at 19 minutes (.32 hours) per response.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: 257,852 annual burden hours.
Start Printed Page 57566
Dated: September 22, 2014
Program Manager, Forms Management Office, Office of the Chief Information Officer, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Department of Homeland Security.
[FR Doc. 2014-22829 Filed 9-24-14; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 9111-28-P