This PDF is the current document as it appeared on Public Inspection on 10/05/2016 at 08:45 am.
Food and Drug Administration, HHS.
Notice of availability.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA or Agency) is announcing the availability of a guidance for industry entitled “Tropical Disease Priority Review Vouchers.” There has been significant outside interest in FDA's interpretation of the priority review voucher section in the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (the FD&C Act) added by the Food and Drug Administration Amendments Act (FDAAA). This section makes provisions for awarding priority review vouchers for future applications to sponsors of tropical disease product applications that meet the criteria specified by the FD&C Act. This guidance explains to internal and external stakeholders how FDA is implementing the provisions of this section. This guidance finalizes the draft guidance of the same name issued October 2008.
Submit either electronic or written comments on Agency guidances at any time.
You may submit comments as follows:
Submit electronic comments in the following way:
- Federal eRulemaking Portal: http://www.regulations.gov. Follow the instructions for submitting comments. Comments submitted electronically, including attachments, to http://www.regulations.gov will be posted to the docket unchanged. Because your comment will be made public, you are solely responsible for ensuring that your comment does not include any confidential information that you or a third party may not wish to be posted, such as medical information, your or anyone else's Social Security number, or confidential business information, such as a manufacturing process. Please note that if you include your name, contact information, or other information that identifies you in the body of your comments, that information will be posted on http://www.regulations.gov.
- If you want to submit a comment with confidential information that you do not wish to be made available to the public, submit the comment as a written/paper submission and in the manner detailed (see “Written/Paper Submissions” and “Instructions”).
Submit written/paper submissions as follows:
- Mail/Hand Delivery/Courier (for written/paper submissions): Division of Dockets Management (HFA-305), Food and Drug Administration, 5630 Fishers Lane, Rm. 1061, Rockville, MD 20852.
- For written/paper comments submitted to the Division of Dockets Management, FDA will post your comment, as well as any attachments, except for information submitted, marked and identified, as confidential, if submitted as detailed in “Instructions.”
Instructions: All submissions received must include the Docket No. FDA-2008-D-0530 for Tropical Disease Priority Review Vouchers; Guidance for Industry; Availability. Received comments will be placed in the docket and, except for those submitted as “Confidential Submissions,” publicly viewable at http://www.regulations.gov or at the Division of Dockets Management between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Confidential Submissions—To submit a comment with confidential information that you do not wish to be made publicly available, submit your comments only as a written/paper submission. You should submit two copies total. One copy will include the information you claim to be confidential with a heading or cover note that states “THIS DOCUMENT CONTAINS CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION.” The Agency will review this copy, including the claimed confidential information, in its consideration of comments. The second copy, which will have the claimed confidential information redacted/blacked out, will be available for public viewing and posted on http://www.regulations.gov. Submit both copies to the Division of Dockets Management. If you do not wish your name and contact information to be made publicly available, you can provide this information on the cover sheet and not in the body of your comments and you must identify this information as “confidential.” Any information marked as “confidential” will not be disclosed except in accordance with 21 CFR 10.20 and other applicable disclosure law. For more information about FDA's posting of comments to public dockets, see 80 FR 56469, September 18, 2015, or access the information at: http://www.fda.gov/regulatoryinformation/dockets/default.htm.
Docket: For access to the docket to read background documents or the electronic and written/paper comments received, go to http://www.regulations.gov and insert the docket number, found in brackets in the heading of this document, into the “Search” box and follow the prompts and/or go to the Division of Dockets Management, 5630 Fishers Lane, Rm. 1061, Rockville, MD 20852.
Submit written requests for single copies of this guidance to the Division of Drug Information, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, Food and Drug Administration, 10001 New Hampshire Ave., Hillandale Building, 4th Floor, Silver Spring, MD 20993-0002, or the Office of Communication, Outreach and Development, Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, Food and Drug Administration, 10903 New Hampshire Ave., Bldg. 71, Rm. 3128, Silver Spring, MD 20993-0002. Send one self-addressed adhesive label to assist that office in processing your requests. See the SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION section for electronic access to the guidance document.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Katherine Schumann, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, Food and Drug Administration, 10903 New Hampshire Ave., Bldg. 22, Rm. 6360, Silver Spring, MD 20993-0002, 301-796-1182; or Stephen Ripley, Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, Food and Drug Administration, 10903 New Hampshire Ave., Bldg. 71, Rm. 3128, Silver Spring, MD 20993-0002, 240-402-7911.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
FDA is announcing the availability of a guidance for industry entitled “Tropical Disease Priority Review Vouchers.” Section 1102 of FDAAA added section 524 to the FD&C Act. Section 524 is designed to encourage development of new drug or biological products for prevention and treatment of certain tropical diseases affecting millions of people throughout the world. By enacting section 524, Congress intended to stimulate new drug development for drug products to treat certain tropical diseases by offering additional incentives for obtaining FDA Start Printed Page 69538approval for pharmaceutical treatments for these diseases. Under section 524, a sponsor of a human drug application for a qualified tropical disease may be eligible for a voucher that can be used to obtain a priority review for any application submitted under section 505(b)(1) of the FD&C Act or section 351 of the Public Health Service Act. The guidance also provides information on using the priority review vouchers and on transferring priority review vouchers to other sponsors.
This guidance finalizes the draft guidance of the same name issued October 2008 and includes the following substantive changes based on public comment.
- The procedure for FDA to add diseases to the list is described
- Clarification is provided for when a voucher can be used
- A statement was added to say that FDA may provide a preliminary nonbinding opinion, before approval, that an application appears to meet the criteria for voucher eligibility
- Clarification is provided regarding the eligibility of combination products to receive a voucher
- Clarification is provided regarding the timing of payment of the priority review user fee
- Clarification is provided regarding whether FDA can remove tropical diseases from the list
This guidance is being issued consistent with FDA's good guidance practices regulation (21 CFR 10.115). The guidance represents the current thinking of FDA on obtaining tropical disease priority review vouchers. It does not establish any rights for any person and is not binding on FDA or the public. You can use an alternative approach if it satisfies the requirements of the applicable statutes and regulations.
II. Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995
This guidance contains information collection provisions that are subject to review by the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) under the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 (44 U.S.C. 3501-3520). The collection of information in this guidance was approved under OMB control number 0910-0822.
III. Electronic Access
Persons with access to the Internet may obtain the guidance at http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Guidances/default.htm, http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/default.htm, or http://www.regulations.gov.Start Signature
Dated: September 30, 2016.
Associate Commissioner for Policy.
[FR Doc. 2016-24232 Filed 10-5-16; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4164-01-P