This PDF is the current document as it appeared on Public Inspection on 12/20/2016 at 08:45 am.
On December 23, 2013, the Securities and Exchange Commission (“Commission”) issued an order pursuant to its authority under Rule 612(c) of Regulation NMS (“Sub-Penny Rule”)  that granted NYSE Arca, Inc. (“Exchange”) a limited exemption from the Sub-Penny Rule in connection with the operation of the Exchange's Retail Liquidity Program (“Program”). The limited exemption was granted concurrently with the Commission's approval of the Exchange's proposal to adopt the Program for a one-year pilot term. The exemption was granted coterminous with the effectiveness of the pilot Program; both the pilot Program and exemption are scheduled to expire on December 31, 2016.Start Printed Page 93720
The Exchange now seeks to extend the exemption until June 30, 2017. The Exchange's request was made in conjunction with an immediately effective filing that extends the operation of the Program through the same date. In its request to extend the exemption, the Exchange notes that the participation in the Program has increased more recently. Accordingly, the Exchange has asked for additional time to allow itself and the Commission to analyze more robust data concerning the Program, which the Exchange committed to provide to the Commission. For this reason and the reasons stated in the Order originally granting the limited exemption, the Commission finds that extending the exemption, pursuant to its authority under Rule 612(c) of Regulation NMS, is appropriate in the public interest and consistent with the protection of investors.
Therefore, it is hereby ordered that, pursuant to Rule 612(c) of Regulation NMS, the Exchange is granted a limited exemption from Rule 612 of Regulation NMS that allows it to accept and rank orders priced equal to or greater than $1.00 per share in increments of $0.001, in connection with the operation of its Retail Liquidity Program, until June 30, 2017.
The limited and temporary exemption extended by this Order is subject to modification or revocation if at any time the Commission determines that such action is necessary or appropriate in furtherance of the purposes of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. Responsibility for compliance with any applicable provisions of the Federal securities laws must rest with the persons relying on the exemption that is the subject of this Order.Start Signature
For the Commission, by the Division of Trading and Markets, pursuant to delegated authority.8
Brent J. Fields,
2. See Securities Exchange Act Release No. 71176 (Dec. 23, 2013), 78 FR 79524 (Dec. 30, 2013) (SR-NYSEArca-2013-107) (“Order”).Back to Citation
3. See id.Back to Citation
4. The pilot term of the Program was originally scheduled to end on April 14, 2015, but the Exchange initially extended the term through September 30, 2015, see Securities Exchange Act Release No. 74572 (Mar. 24, 2015), 80 FR 16705 (Mar. 30, 2015) (NYSEArca-2015-22), and then, through various extensions, through December 31, 2016. See Securities Exchange Act Release Nos. 75994 (Sept. 28, 2015), 80 FR 59834 (Oct. 2, 2015) (SR-NYSEArca-2015-84), 77236 (Feb. 25, 2016), 81 FR 10943 (Mar. 2, 2016) (SR-NYSEArca-2016-30), 77425 (Mar. 23, 2016), 81 FR 17523 (Mar. 29, 2016) (SR-NYSEArca-2016-47), and 78601 (Aug. 17, 2016), 81 FR 57632 (Aug. 23, 2016) (SR-NYSEArca-2016-113). Each time the pilot term of the Program was extended, the Commission also granted the Exchange's request to extend the Sub-Penny exemption. See Securities Exchange Act Release Nos. 74609 (Mar. 30, 2015), 80 FR 18272 (Apr. 3, 2015); 76021 (Sept. 29, 2015), 80 FR 60207 (Oct. 5, 2015); 77437 (Mar. 24, 2016), 81 FR 17752 (Mar. 30, 2016); and 78677 (Aug. 25, 2016), 81 FR 60037 (Aug. 31, 2016). The current exemption expires December 31, 2016.Back to Citation
5. See Letter from Martha Redding, Assistant Secretary, NYSE, to Brent J. Fields, Secretary, Securities and Exchange Commission, dated November 28, 2016.Back to Citation
6. See Securities Exchange Act Release No. 79495 (Dec. 7, 2016), 81 FR 90033 (Dec. 13, 2016) (SR-NYSEArca-2016-157).Back to Citation
7. See Order, supra note 2, 78 FR at 79529.Back to Citation
[FR Doc. 2016-30814 Filed 12-20-16; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 8011-01-P