This PDF is the current document as it appeared on Public Inspection on 02/07/2017 at 08:45 am.
Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
Draft NUREG; request for comment.
The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) is revising its licensing guidance for licenses authorizing initial distribution of byproduct material or source material to persons exempt from the requirements (exempt distribution) for an NRC license. The NRC is requesting public comment on draft NUREG-1556, Volume 8, Revision 1, “Consolidated Guidance About Materials Licenses: Program-Specific Guidance About Exempt Distribution Licenses.” The document has been updated from the original version to include information on safety culture, protection of sensitive information, and changes in regulatory policies and practices. This document is intended for use by applicants, licensees, and the NRC staff.
Submit comments by March 17, 2017. Comments received after this date will be considered if it is practicable to do so, but the NRC is only able to assure consideration of comments received on or before this date.
You may submit comments by any of the following methods (unless this document describes a different method for submitting comments on a specific subject):
- Federal Rulemaking Web site: Go to http://www.regulations.gov and search for Docket ID NRC-2016-0227. Address questions about NRC dockets to Carol Gallagher; telephone: 301-415-3463; email: Carol.Gallagher@nrc.gov. For technical questions, contact the individual listed in the FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT section of this document.
- Mail comments to: Cindy Bladey, Office of Administration, Mail Stop: OWFN-12-H8, U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Washington, DC 20555-0001.
For additional direction on obtaining information and submitting comments, see “Obtaining Information and Submitting Comments” in the SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION section of this document.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Katie Wagner, Office of Nuclear Material Safety and Safeguards; U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Washington, DC 20555-0001; telephone: 301-415-6202; email: Katie.Wagner@nrc.gov.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
I. Obtaining Information and Submitting Comments
A. Obtaining Information
Please refer to Docket ID NRC-2016-0227 when contacting the NRC about the availability of information regarding this document. You may obtain publicly-available information related to this action by the following methods:
- Federal Rulemaking Web site: Go to http://www.regulations.gov and search for Docket ID NRC-2016-0227.
- NRC's Agencywide Documents Access and Management System (ADAMS): You may obtain publicly-available documents online in the ADAMS Public Documents collection at http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/adams.html. To begin the search, select “ADAMS Public Documents” and then select “Begin Web-based ADAMS Search.” For problems with ADAMS, please contact the NRC's Public Document Room (PDR) reference staff at 1-800-397-4209, 301-415-4737 or by email to email@example.com. The draft NUREG-1556, Volume 8, Revision 1, is Start Printed Page 9757available in ADAMS under Accession No. ML17031A153.
- NRC's PDR: You may examine and purchase copies of public documents at the NRC's PDR, Room O1-F21, One White Flint North, 11555 Rockville Pike, Rockville, Maryland 20852.
B. Submitting Comments
Please include Docket ID NRC-2016-0227 in the subject line of your comment submission, in order to ensure that the NRC is able to make your comment submission available to the public in this docket.
The NRC cautions you not to include identifying or contact information that you do not want publicly disclosed in your comment submission. The NRC will post all comment submissions at http://www.regulations.gov as well as enter the comment submissions into ADAMS, and the NRC does not routinely edit comment submissions to remove identifying or contact information.
If you are requesting or aggregating comments from other persons for submission to the NRC, then you should inform those persons not to include identifying or contact information that they do not want to be publicly disclosed in their comment submission. Your request should state that the NRC does not routinely edit comment submissions to remove such information before making the comment submissions available to the public or entering the comment submissions into ADAMS.
II. Further Information
This NUREG provides guidance to existing licensees initially distributing byproduct material or source material to persons exempt from the requirements (exempt distribution) for an NRC license under 10 CFR 30.14, 10 CFR 30.15, 10 CFR 30.18, 10 CFR 30.19, 10 CFR 30.20, 10 CFR 30.21, 10 CFR 30.22, and 10 CFR 40.13(c) and exempt from licensing requirements under the equivalent provisions in Agreement State regulations. This NUREG also provides guidance to applicants preparing a license application to distribute such materials. Additionally, this NUREG provides NRC reviewers with criteria for evaluating such a license application. The purpose of this notice is to provide the public an opportunity to review and comment on draft NUREG-1556, Volume 8, Revision 1, “Consolidated Guidance About Materials Licenses: Program-Specific Guidance About Exempt Distribution Licenses.” These comments will be considered in the final version or subsequent revisions.Start Signature
Dated at Rockville, Maryland, this 1st day of February, 2017.
For the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
Daniel S. Collins,
Director, Division of Material Safety, State, Tribal and Rulemaking Programs, Office of Nuclear Material Safety and Safeguards.
[FR Doc. 2017-02574 Filed 2-7-17; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 7590-01-P