This PDF is the current document as it appeared on Public Inspection on 07/18/2017 at 08:45 am.
Notice of request for public comment.
The Department of State has submitted the information collection described below to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for approval. In accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 we are requesting comments on this collection from all interested individuals and organizations. The purpose of this Notice is to allow 30 days for public comment.
The Department will accept comments from the public up to August 18, 2017.
Direct comments to the Department of State Desk Officer in the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs at the Office of Management and Budget (OMB). You may submit comments by the following methods:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. You must include the DS form number, information collection title, and the OMB control number in the subject line of your message.
- Fax: 202-395-5806. Attention: Desk Officer for Department of State.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Direct requests for additional information regarding the collection listed in this notice, including requests for copies of the proposed collection instrument and supporting documents may be sent to PRA_BurdentComments@state.gov.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
- Title of Information Collection: Application for Nonimmigrant Visa.
- OMB Control Number: 1405-0182.
- Type of Request: Revision of a Currently Approved Collection.
- Originating Office: CA/VO/L/R.
- Form Number: DS-160.
- Respondents: All Nonimmigrant Visa Applicants.
- Estimated Number of Respondents: 13,345,785.
- Estimated Number of Responses: 13,345,785.
- Average Time per Response: 75 Minutes.
- Total Estimated Burden Time: 16,682,231 hours.
- Frequency: Once per respondent.
- Obligation to Respond: Required to Obtain or Retain a Benefit.
We are soliciting public comments to permit the Department to:
- Evaluate whether the proposed information collection is necessary for the proper functions of the Department.
- Evaluate the accuracy of our estimate of the time and cost burden for this proposed collection, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used.
- Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected.
- Minimize the reporting burden on those who are to respond, including the use of automated collection techniques or other forms of information technology. Please note that comments submitted in response to this Notice are public record. Before including any detailed personal information, you should be aware that your comments as submitted, including your personal information, will be available for public review.
Abstract of Proposed Collection
The Online Application for Nonimmigrant Visa (DS-160) is used to collect biographical information from individuals seeking a nonimmigrant visa. The consular officer uses the information collected to determine the applicant's eligibility for a visa.
The DS-160 will be submitted electronically to the Department via the internet. The applicant will be instructed to print a confirmation page containing a bar coded record locator, Start Printed Page 33200which will be scanned at the time of processing.Start Signature
Acting Deputy Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Consular Affairs, Department of State.
[FR Doc. 2017-15132 Filed 7-18-17; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4710-06-P