U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Department of Homeland Security.
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS), U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) will be submitting the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and clearance in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The information collection is published in the Federal Register to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies.
Comments are encouraged and will be accepted for sixty days until November 17, 2017.
Written comments and suggestions regarding items contained in this notice and especially with regard to the estimated public burden and associated response time should be directed the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), PRA Clearance Officer, U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement, 801 I Street NW., Mailstop 5800, Washington, DC 20536-5800.
Start Supplemental Information
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information should address one or more of the following four points:
(1) Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of the agencies estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of This Information Collection
(1) Type of Information Collection: Extension, without change, of a currently approved information collection.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department of Homeland Security sponsoring the collection: Forms I-17 and I-20; U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary Non-profit institutions and individuals or households. SEVIS is an Internet-based data-entry, collection and reporting system. It collects information on SEVP-certified schools via the Form I-17, “Petition for Approval of School for Attendance by Nonimmigrant Student,” and collects information on the F and M nonimmigrant students that the SEVP-certified schools admit into their programs of study via the Forms I-20s: “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status—For Academic and Language Students” and “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (M-1) Student Status—For Vocational Students”.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond:
|Number of respondents||Form name/Form No.||Average burden per response
|280,000||Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status—For Academic and Language Students/ICE Form I-20 (Students)||0.5|
|90,000||Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (M-1) Student Status—For Academic and Language Students/ICE Form I-20 (Spouse/Dependents)||0.5|
|280,000||Optional Practical Training 12 Month Request/No Form||0.083|
|12,000||Optional Practical Training 17 Month Extension Request/No Form||0.083|
|5,525||Maintenance of SEVP Certification/ICE Form I-17||4|
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: 1,027,884 annual burden hours.
End Supplemental Information
Dated: September 12, 2017.
PRA Clearance Officer, Office of the Chief Information Officer, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Department of Homeland Security.
[FR Doc. 2017-19713 Filed 9-15-17; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 9111-28-P