U.S. Marshals Service, Department of Justice.
The Department of Justice, U.S. Marshals Service (USMS), is submitting the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and approval in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995.
The Department of Justice encourages public comment and will accept input until March 19, 2018.
Start Further Info
Start Printed Page 2465
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
If you have additional comments especially on the estimated public burden or associated response time, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions or additional information, please contact Nicole Timmons either by mail at CG-3, 10th Floor, Washington, DC 20530-0001, by email at Nicole.Timmons@usdoj.gov, or by telephone at 202-236-2646.
End Further Info
Start Supplemental Information
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information are encouraged. Your comments should address one or more of the following four points:
—Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the USMS, including whether the information will have practical utility;
—Evaluate the accuracy of the agency's estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
—Evaluate whether and if so how the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected can be enhanced; and
—Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of This Information Collection
1. Type of Information Collection: New Collection.
2. The Title of the Form/Collection: Preliminary Background Check Form.
3. The agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department sponsoring the collection: CSO-005. The applicable component within the Department of Justice is the USMS.
4. Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary respondents—Court Security Officers/Special Security Officer (CSO/SSO) Applicants. The CSO-005 Preliminary Background Check Form is used to collect applicant information for CSO/SSO positions. The applicant information provided to USMS from the Vendor gives information about which District and Facility the applicant will be working, the applicant's personal information, prior employment verification, employment performance and current financial status. The information allows the selecting official to hire applicants with a strong history of employment performance and financial responsibility. The questions on this form have been developed from the OPM, MSPB and DOJ “Best Practice” guidelines for reference checking.
5. An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: An estimated 750 respondents will utilize the form, and it will take each respondent approximately 60 minutes to complete the form.
6. An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: The estimated annual public burden associated with this collection is 750 hours, which is equal to 750 (total # of annual responses) * 60 minutes.
If additional information is required contact: Melody Braswell, Department Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Justice Management Division, Policy and Planning Staff, Two Constitution Square, 145 N Street NE, 3E.405A, Washington, DC 20530.
End Supplemental Information
Dated: January 11, 2018.
Acting Department Clearance Officer for PRA, U.S. Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. 2018-00654 Filed 1-16-18; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-04-P