This PDF is the current document as it appeared on Public Inspection on 03/28/2018 at 08:45 am.
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, HHS.
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) is announcing an opportunity for the public to comment on CMS' intention to collect information from the public. Under the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 (the PRA), federal agencies are required to publish notice in the Federal Register concerning each proposed collection of information (including each proposed extension or reinstatement of an existing collection of information) and to allow 60 days for public comment on the proposed action. Interested persons are invited to send comments regarding our Start Printed Page 13488burden estimates or any other aspect of this collection of information, including the necessity and utility of the proposed information collection for the proper performance of the agency's functions, the accuracy of the estimated burden, ways to enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected, and the use of automated collection techniques or other forms of information technology to minimize the information collection burden.
Comments must be received by May 29, 2018.
When commenting, please reference the document identifier or OMB control number. To be assured consideration, comments and recommendations must be submitted in any one of the following ways:
1. Electronically. You may send your comments electronically to http://www.regulations.gov. Follow the instructions for “Comment or Submission” or “More Search Options” to find the information collection document(s) that are accepting comments.
2. By regular mail. You may mail written comments to the following address: CMS, Office of Strategic Operations and Regulatory Affairs, Division of Regulations Development, Attention: Document Identifier/OMB Control Number __, Room C4-26-05, 7500 Security Boulevard, Baltimore, Maryland 21244-1850.
To obtain copies of a supporting statement and any related forms for the proposed collection(s) summarized in this notice, you may make your request using one of following:
1. Access CMS' website address at https://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-Guidance/Legislation/PaperworkReductionActof1995/PRA-Listing.html.
2. Email your request, including your address, phone number, OMB number, and CMS document identifier, to Paperwork@cms.hhs.gov.
3. Call the Reports Clearance Office at (410) 786-1326.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
William Parham at (410) 786-4669.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
This notice sets out a summary of the use and burden associated with the following information collections. More detailed information can be found in each collection's supporting statement and associated materials (see ADDRESSES).
CMS-10148 HIPAA Administrative Simplification (Non-Privacy/Security) Complaint Form
Under the PRA (44 U.S.C. 3501-3520), federal agencies must obtain approval from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for each collection of information they conduct or sponsor. The term “collection of information” is defined in 44 U.S.C. 3502(3) and 5 CFR 1320.3(c) and includes agency requests or requirements that members of the public submit reports, keep records, or provide information to a third party. Section 3506(c)(2)(A) of the PRA requires federal agencies to publish a 60-day notice in the Federal Register concerning each proposed collection of information, including each proposed extension or reinstatement of an existing collection of information, before submitting the collection to OMB for approval. To comply with this requirement, CMS is publishing this notice.
1. Type of Information Collection Request: Revision of the currently approved collection.; Title of Information Collection: HIPAA Administrative Simplification (Non-Privacy/Security) Complaint Form; Use: The authority for administering and enforcing compliance with the non-privacy/security Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) rules has been delegated to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). At present, CMS' compliance and enforcement activities are primarily complaint-based. Although our enforcement efforts are focused on investigating complaints, they may also include conducting compliance reviews to determine if a covered entity is in compliance. Potential violations can come through a complaint form or a compliance review.
This standard form collects identifying and contact information of the complainant, as well as, the identifying and contact information of the filed against entity (FAE). This information enables CMS to respond to the complainant and gather more information if necessary, and to contact the FAE to discuss the complaint and CMS' findings.
In addition to the identifying and contact information, the standard form collects a summary which outlines the nature of the complaint. This summary is used to determine the validity of the complaint, and to categorize the complaint as related to transactions, standards, code sets, unique identifiers, and/or operating rules. This ensures the appropriate direction of the complaint process and enables CMS to produce accurate reports regarding complaint activity.
The revision form associated with this submission adds an option for filing complaints under Unique Identifier and Operating Rules. It also requests an email address for filed against entities, if available. Form Number: CMS-10148 (OMB Control number: 0938-0948); Frequency: Occasionally; Affected Public: Individuals; Number of Respondents: 125; Total Annual Responses: 125; Total Annual Hours: 125. (For policy questions regarding this collections contact Kevin Steward at 410-786-6149.)Start Signature
Dated: March 26, 2018.
William N. Parham, III,
Director, Paperwork Reduction Staff, Office of Strategic Operations and Regulatory Affairs.
[FR Doc. 2018-06312 Filed 3-28-18; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4120-01-P