Start Printed Page 48178
Mine Safety and Health Administration, Labor.
This notice is a summary of a petition for modification submitted to the Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) by the party listed below.
All comments on the petition must be received by MSHA's Office of Standards, Regulations, and Variances on or before October 15, 2019.
You may submit your comments, identified by “docket number” on the subject line, by any of the following methods:
1. Electronic Mail: zzMSHAemail@example.com. Include the docket number of the petition in the subject line of the message.
2. Facsimile: 202-693-9441.
3. Regular Mail or Hand Delivery: MSHA, Office of Standards, Regulations, and Variances, 201 12th Street South, Suite 4E401, Arlington, Virginia 22202-5452, Attention: Sheila McConnell, Director, Office of Standards, Regulations, and Variances. Persons delivering documents are required to check in at the receptionist's desk in Suite 4E401. Individuals may inspect copies of the petition and comments during normal business hours at the address listed above.
MSHA will consider only comments postmarked by the U.S. Postal Service or proof of delivery from another delivery service such as UPS or Federal Express on or before the deadline for comments.
Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Roslyn B. Fontaine, Office of Standards, Regulations, and Variances at 202-693-9440 (voice), firstname.lastname@example.org (email), or 202-693-9441 (facsimile). [These are not toll-free numbers.]
End Further Info
Start Supplemental Information
Section 101(c) of the Federal Mine Safety and Health Act of 1977 and Title 30 of the Code of Federal Regulations Part 44 govern the application, processing, and disposition of petitions for modification.
Section 101(c) of the Federal Mine Safety and Health Act of 1977 (Mine Act) allows the mine operator or representative of miners to file a petition to modify the application of any mandatory safety standard to a coal or other mine if the Secretary of Labor determines that:
1. An alternative method of achieving the result of such standard exists which will at all times guarantee no less than the same measure of protection afforded the miners of such mine by such standard; or
2. That the application of such standard to such mine will result in a diminution of safety to the miners in such mine.
In addition, the regulations at 30 CFR 44.10 and 44.11 establish the requirements and procedures for filing petitions for modification.
II. Petition for Modification
Docket Number: M-2019-049-C.
Petitioner: Rock N Roll Coal Company, Inc., 4641 Greenbrier Mountain Road, Panther, WV 24872.
Mines: Mine No. 7, MSHA I.D. No. 46-09093, located in McDowell County, West Virginia.
Regulation Affected: 30 CFR 75.1101-1(b) (Deluge-type water spray systems).
Modification Request: The petitioner requests a modification of the existing standard to waive the requirement for blow-off dust covers for nozzles on the beltline deluge-type water spray system.
The petitioner states that:
(1) Each nozzle on the deluge-type water spray system at the petitioner's mine is provided with a blow-off dust cover.
(2) An inspection and functional test of the complete deluge-type water spray system is conducted weekly.
(3) Due to the frequent inspections and functional testing of the deluge-type water spray system, the blow-off dust covers are unnecessary because the nozzles can be maintained in an unclogged condition through weekly use. It is burdensome to recap the large numbers of blow-off dust covers weekly after each inspection and functional test.
As an alternative to the existing standard, the petitioner proposes the following:
(a) The operator will remove the blow-off dust covers from the nozzles on the deluge-type water spray system.
(b) The operator will conduct weekly inspections and functional testing of the complete deluge-type water spray system.
The petitioner asserts that the proposed alternative method will at all times guarantee no less than the same measure of protection afforded by the existing standard.
End Supplemental Information
Director, Office of Standards, Regulations, and Variances.
[FR Doc. 2019-19717 Filed 9-11-19; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4520-43-P