Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, Department of Justice.
Start Printed Page 54642
The Department of Justice (DOJ), Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), will submit the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and approval in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995.
Comments are encouraged and will be accepted for 60 days until December 9, 2019.
Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
If you have additional comments, regarding the estimated public burden or associated response time, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions, or additional information, please contact: Michael Knapp, Firearms Industry Programs Branch either by mail at 99 New York Ave. NE, Washington, DC 20226, by email at Fipbfirstname.lastname@example.org, or by telephone at 202-648-7190.
End Further Info
Start Supplemental Information
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information are encouraged. Your comments should address one or more of the following four points:
—Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
—Evaluate the accuracy of the agency's estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
—Evaluate whether and if so how the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected can be enhanced; and
—Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of This Information Collection
1. Type of Information Collection (check justification or form 83): Extension without change of a currently approved collection.
2. The Title of the Form/Collection: Certification on Agency Letterhead Authorizing Purchase of Firearm for Official Duties of Law Enforcement Officer.
3. The agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department sponsoring the collection:
Form number (if applicable): None.
Component: Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, U.S. Department of Justice.
4. Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract:
Primary: State, Local or Tribal Government.
Other (if applicable): Federal Government.
Abstract: The letter is used by a law enforcement officer to purchase firearms to be used in his/her official duties from a licensed firearm dealer anywhere in the country. The letter shall state that the firearm is to be used in the official duties of the officer and that he/she has not been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.
5. An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: An estimated 50,000 respondents will utilize the letter template associated with this information collection. It will take approximately 8 minutes to complete a response to this IC.
6. An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: The estimated annual public burden associated with this collection is 6,667 of hours, which is equal to 50,000 (# of respondents) * 1 (# of responses per respondent) * .133333 (8 minutes).
If additional information is required contact: Melody Braswell, Department Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Justice Management Division, Policy and Planning Staff, Two Constitution Square, 145 N Street NE, 3E.405A, Washington, DC 20530.
End Supplemental Information
Dated: October 7, 2019.
Department Clearance Officer for PRA, U.S. Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. 2019-22160 Filed 10-9-19; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-14-P