Special Nuclear Material Control and Accounting Systems for Nuclear Power Plants
Draft Regulatory Guide; Request For Comment.
The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC or the Commission) is issuing for public comment draft regulatory guide (DG), DG-5028, “Special Nuclear Material Control and Accounting Systems for Nuclear Power Plants.” In DG-5028, the NRC proposes to endorse a revised American National Standards Institute (ANSI) document, ANSI N15.8-2009, “Methods of Nuclear Material Control—Material Control Systems—Special Nuclear Material Control and Accounting Systems for Nuclear Power Plants.”
Table of Contents Back to Top
DATES: Back to Top
Submit comments by July 16, 2012. Comments received after this date will be considered if it is practical to do so, but the NRC is able to ensure consideration only for comments received on or before this date. Although a time limit is given, comments and suggestions in connection with items for inclusion in guides currently being developed or improvements in all published guides are encouraged at any time.
ADDRESSES: Back to Top
You may access information and comment submissions related to this document by searching on http://www.regulations.gov under Docket ID NRC-2012-0109. You may submit comments by the following methods:
- Federal Rulemaking Web site: Go to http://www.regulations.gov and search for Docket ID NRC-2012-0109. Address questions about NRC dockets to Carol Gallagher; telephone: 301-492-3668; email: Carol.Gallagher@nrc.gov.
- Mail comments to: Cindy Bladey, Chief, Rules, Announcements, and Directives Branch (RADB), Office of Administration, Mail Stop: TWB-05-B01M, U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Washington, DC 20555-0001.
- Fax comments to: RADB at 301-492-3446.
For additional direction on accessing information and submitting comments, see “Accessing Information and Submitting Comments” in the SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION section of this document.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Back to Top
Richard Jervey, Office of Nuclear Regulatory Research, U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Washington, DC 20555-0001, telephone: 301-251-7401 or email: Richard.Jervey@nrc.gov.
SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION: Back to Top
I. Accessing Information and Submitting Comments Back to Top
A. Accessing Information
Please refer to Docket ID NRC-2012-0109 when contacting the NRC about the availability of information regarding this document. You may access information related to this document by the following methods:
- Federal Rulemaking Web Site: Go to http://www.regulations.gov and search for Docket ID NRC-2012-0109.
- NRC's Agencywide Documents Access and Management System (ADAMS): You may access publicly-available documents online in the NRC Library at http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/adams.html. To begin the search, select “ADAMS Public Documents” and then select “Begin Web-based ADAMS Search.” For problems with ADAMS, please contact the NRC's Public Document Room (PDR) reference staff at 1-800-397-4209, 301-415-4737, or by email to email@example.com. DG-5028 is located under ADAMS Accession Number ML113550061. The regulatory analysis may be found under ADAMS Accession Number ML113550062.
- NRC's PDR: You may examine and purchase copies of public documents at the NRC's PDR, Room O1-F21, One White Flint North, 11555 Rockville Pike, Rockville, Maryland 20852.
B. Submitting Comments
Please include Docket ID NRC-2012-0109 in the subject line of your comment submission, in order to ensure that the NRC is able to make your comment submission available to the public in this docket.
The NRC cautions you not to include identifying or contact information in comment submissions that you do not want to be publicly disclosed. The NRC posts all comment submissions at http://www.regulations.gov as well as entering the comment submissions into ADAMS, and the NRC does not edit comment submissions to remove identifying or contact information.
If you are requesting or aggregating comments from other persons for submission to the NRC, then you should inform those persons not to include identifying or contact information in their comment submissions that they do not want to be publicly disclosed. Your request should state that the NRC will not edit comment submissions to remove such information before making the comment submissions available to the public or entering the comment submissions into ADAMS.
II. Further Information Back to Top
The NRC is issuing for public comment a draft guide in the NRC's “Regulatory Guide” series. This series was developed to describe and make available to the public such information as methods that are acceptable to the NRC staff for implementing specific parts of the NRC's regulations, techniques that the staff uses in evaluating specific problems or postulated accidents, and data that the staff needs in its review of applications for permits and licenses.
The draft regulatory guide, entitled, “Special Nuclear Material Control and Accounting Systems for Nuclear Power Plants,” is temporarily identified by its task number, DG-5028. DG-5028 is proposed revision 2 of Regulatory Guide 5.29, dated June 1975.
The NRC withdrew Regulatory Guide 5.29 Revision 1 in January 1998 (63 FR 2426; January 15, 1998), because the underlying basis standard, ANSI N15.8-1974, “Methods of Nuclear Material Control—Material Control Systems—Special Nuclear Material Control and Accounting Systems for Nuclear Power Plants,” did not include direction to support accountability of partial fuel assemblies. ANSI revised ANSI N15.8 in February 2009. ANSI N15.8-2009 provides guidance on the fundamentals of an SNM control and accounting system, including criteria for the receipt, internal control, physical inventory, and shipment of SNM. Additionally, ANSI N15.8-2009 provides specific guidance on the control and accounting of 1) fuel rods that are separated from their parent assemblies; and 2) pieces of irradiated material that are separated as a result of fuel damage. In DG-5028, the NRC is proposing to endorse ANSI N15.8-2009 as an acceptable method for implementing material control and accounting requirements at nuclear power plants.
Dated at Rockville, Maryland, this 7th day of May 2012.
For the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
Thomas H. Boyce,
Chief, Regulatory Guide Development Branch, Division of Engineering, Office of Nuclear Regulatory Research.
[FR Doc. 2012-11585 Filed 5-11-12; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 7590-01-P