Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
This notice announces the availability of a draft Pesticide Registration (PR) Notice that is part of EPA's continuing effort to reduce unnecessary exposures of human and pets to insecticides used in residential settings and to improve the safety of their use. The draft PR Notice is a guidance document, the intent of which is to clarify certain portions of residential insecticide product labels. In addition to helping reduce unnecessary exposure, the proposed label modification will help provide the Agency with additional methods of estimating residential exposure to pesticides as is mandated by the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act (FFDCA) as amended by the Food Quality Protection Act (FQPA), August 3, 1996. Please note that the guidance in the draft PR Notice should not be viewed as a substitution for the policies required when completing residential risk assessments.
Comments, identified by docket control number OPP-00629, must be received on or before May 30, 2000.
Comments may be submitted by mail, electronically, or in person. Please follow the detailed instructions for each method as provided in Unit I. of the SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION. To ensure proper receipt by EPA, it is imperative that you identify docket control number OPP-00629 in the subject line on the first page of your response.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Mark Dow or Tracy Keigwin, Registration Division (7505C), Office of Pesticide Programs, Environmental Protection Agency, Ariel Rios Building, 1200 Pennsylvania Ave., NW., Washington, DC 20460; telephone numbers: (703) 305-5533 and (703) 305-6605 respectively; fax number: (703) 305-6596; e-mail addresses: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
I. General Information
A. Does this Action Apply to Me?
This action is directed to the public in general. This action may, however, be of interest to state regulatory agencies, medical personnel, pesticide registrants. Since other entities may also be interested, the Agency has not attempted to describe all the specific entities that may be affected by this action. If you have any questions regarding the applicability of this action to a particular entity, consult the person listed under FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT.
B. How Can I Get Additional Information, Including Copies of this Document and Other Related Documents?
1. Electronically. You may obtain electronic copies of this document, and certain other related documents that might be available electronically, from the EPA Internet Home Page at http://www.epa.gov/. To access this document, on the Home Page select “Laws and Regulations” and then look up the entry for this document under the “Federal Register--Environmental Documents.” You can also go directly to the Federal Register listings at http://www.epa.gov/fedrgstr/.
2. Fax on Demand. You may request to receive a faxed copy of the draft PR Notice titled “Indoor Residential Insecticide Product Label Statements” by using a faxphone to call (202) 401-0527 and selecting item 6121. You may also follow the automated menu.
3. In person. The Agency has established an official record for this action under docket control number OPP-00629. The official record consists of the documents specifically referenced in this action, any public comments received during an applicable comment period, and other information related to this action, including any information claimed as confidential business information (CBI). This official record includes the documents that are physically located in the docket, as well as the documents that are referenced in those documents. The public version of the official record does not include any information claimed as CBI. The public version of the official record, which includes printed, paper versions of any electronic comments submitted during an applicable comment period, is available for inspection in the Public Information and Records Integrity Branch (PIRIB), Rm. 119, Crystal Mall #2, 1921 Jefferson Davis Hwy., Arlington, VA, from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding legal holidays. The PIRIB telephone number is (703) 305-5805.
C. How and to Whom Do I Submit Comments?
You may submit comments through the mail, in person, or electronically. To ensure proper receipt by EPA, it is imperative that you identify docket control number OPP-00629 in the subject line on the first page of your response.
1. By mail. Submit written comments to: Public Information and Records Integrity Branch, Information Resources and Services Division (7502C), Office of Pesticide Programs, Environmental Protection Agency, Ariel Rios Building, 1200 Pennsylvania Ave., NW., Washington, DC 20460.
2. In person. Deliver written comments to: Public Information and Records Integrity Branch, Rm. 119, CM #2, 1921 Jefferson Davis Highway, Arlington, VA.
3. Electronically. You may submit your comments electronically by e-mail to: “firstname.lastname@example.org,” or you can submit a computer disk as described in this unit. Do not submit any information electronically that you consider to be CBI. Avoid the use of special characters and any form of encryption. Electronic submissions will be accepted in WordPerfect 6.1/8.0 or ASCII file format. All comments in electronic form must be identified by docket control number OPP-00629. Electronic comments may also be filed online at many Federal Depository Libraries.
D. How Should I Handle CBI that I Want to Submit to the Agency?
Do not submit any information electronically that you consider to be CBI. You may claim information that you submit to EPA in response to this document as CBI by marking any part or all of that information as CBI. Information so marked will not be disclosed except in accordance with procedures set forth in 40 CFR part 2. In addition to one complete version of the comment that includes any information claimed as CBI, a copy of the comment that does not contain the information claimed as CBI must be submitted for inclusion in the public version of the official record. Information not marked confidential will be included in the public version of the official record without prior notice. If you have any questions about CBI or the procedures for claiming CBI, please consult the person identified Start Printed Page 16615under FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT.
E. What Should I Consider as I Prepare My Comments for EPA?
You may find the following suggestions helpful for preparing your comments:
1. Explain your views as clearly as possible.
2. Describe any assumptions that you used.
3. Provide copies of any technical information and/or data you used that support your views.
4. If you estimate potential burden or costs, explain how you arrived at the estimate that you provide.
5. Provide specific examples to illustrate your concerns.
6. Offer alternative ways to improve the rule or collection activity.
7. Make sure to submit your comments by the deadline in this notice.
8. To ensure proper receipt by EPA, be sure to identify the docket control number assigned to this action in the subject line on the first page of your response. You may also provide the name, date, and Federal Register citation.
II. What Action is the Agency Taking?
The Agency is providing a draft guidance document, for public comment, proposed for use by pesticide registrants so that labels for residential insecticide products may be modified to help reduce unnecessary exposure, and to help provide the Agency with additional means with which to assess human and pet exposure to residential insecticide products.Start List of Subjects
List of Subjects
- Environmental protection
Dated: March 16, 2000.
Director, Registration Division, Office of Pesticide Programs.
[FR Doc. 00-7630 Filed 3-28-00; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 6560-50-F