Department of Defense (DoD).
The Acting Director of Defense Procurement has issued a final rule amending the Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement (DFARS) to add text pertaining to agency waiver of Cost Accounting Standards (CAS) requirements. This rule supplements a Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) rule on this subject that appears elsewhere in this issue of the Federal Register.
June 6, 2000.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Ms. Sandra Haberlin, Defense Acquisition Regulations Council, OUSD (AT&L) DP (DAR), IMD 3D139, 3062 Defense Pentagon, Washington, DC 20301-3062. Telephone (703) 602-0289; telefax (703) 602-0350. Please cite DFARS Case 2000-D012.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
Section 802 of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2000 (Public Law 106-65) amended 41 U.S.C. 422(f) to permit the head of an executive agency to waive the applicability of CAS under certain conditions. To implement Section 802, the CAS Board published an interim rule at 65 FR 5990 on February 7, 2000. The CAS Board's rule, Applicability, Thresholds, and Waiver of Cost Accounting Standards Coverage, amended the regulations at 48 CFR 9903, including § 9903.201-5, Waiver.
An interim rule amending the FAR Under Case Number 2000-301, Applicability, Thresholds, and Waiver of Cost Accounting Standards Coverage, appears elsewhere in this issue of the Federal Register to implement Section 802 and the CAS Board's interim rule. This DFARS rule supplements the FAR rule by—
1. Providing DoD procedures for processing CAS waivers;
2. Clarifying which DoD components may grant CAS waivers at what level of authority; and
3. Providing DoD procedures for submission of annual CAS waiver reports to the CAS Board.
This rule was not subject to Office of Management and Budget review under Executive Order 12866, dated September 30, 1993.
B. Regulatory Flexibility Act
This final rule does not constitute a significant revision within the meaning of FAR 1.501 and Public Law 98-577 and publication for public comment is not required. However, DoD will consider comments from small entities concerning the affected DFARS subpart in accordance with 5 U.S.C. 610. Such comments should cite DFARS Case 2000-D012.
C. Paperwork Reduction Act
The Paperwork Reduction Act does not apply because the rule does not impose any information collection requirements that require the approval of the Office of Management and Budget under 44 U.S.C. 3501, et seq.Start List of Subjects
List of Subjects in 48 CFR Part 230End List of Subjects Start Signature
Michele P. Peterson,
Executive Editor, Defense Acquisition Regulations Council.
Therefore,End Amendment Part Start Amendment Part
1. The authority citation forEnd Amendment Part Start Part
PART 230—COST ACCOUNTING STANDARDS ADMINISTRATIONEnd Part Start Amendment Part
2. Subpart 230.2 is added to read as follows:End Amendment Part Start Printed Page 36035
Subpart 230.2—CAS Program Requirements
(a)(1)(A) The military departments—
(1) May grant CAS waivers that meet the conditions in FAR 30.201-5(b); and
(2) Unless otherwise authorized by the Director of Defense Procurement, Office of the Under Secretary of Defense (Acquisition, Technology, and Logistics), must submit each CAS waiver request to the Director of Defense Procurement for review at least 14 days before granting the waiver.
(B) DoD contracting activities that are not within a military department must submit CAS waiver requests that meet the conditions in FAR 30.201-5(b) to the Director of Defense Procurement for approval at least 30 days before the anticipated contract award date.
(2) The military departments must not delegate CAS waiver authority below the individual responsible for issuing contracting policy for the department.
(e)(i) by November 15th of each year, the military departments must provide a report of all waivers granted under FAR 30.201-5(a) during the previous fiscal year to the Director of Defense Procurement.
(ii) The Director of Defense Procurement will submit a consolidated DoD report to the CAS Board.End Supplemental Information
[FR Doc. 00-13828 Filed 6-5-00; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 5000-04-M