Notice of extension of currently approved information collection; Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990/Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 Discrimination Complaint Form.
The Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division, Disability Rights Section, has submitted the following information collection request for review and clearance in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. This proposed information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected Start Printed Page 48013agencies. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted for “sixty days” until October 3, 2000.
If you have comments, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions, or additional information, please contact John Wodatch, Chief, Disability Rights Section, Civil Rights Division, by calling (800) 514-0301 (Voice) or (800) 514-0383 (TTY) (the Division's ADA Information Line), or write him at U.S. Department of Justice, P.O. Box 66738, Washington, DC 20035-6738.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information should address one or more of the following four points:
(1) Evaluate whether the collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the function of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of the agencies estimate of the burden of the collection of information;
(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology (e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses).
Overview of This Information Collection Is Listed Below
(1) Type of information collection. Extension of Currently Approved Collection.
(2) The title of the form/collection. Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act/Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 Discrimination Complaint Form.
(3) The agency form number and applicable component of the Department sponsoring the collection. No form number. Disability Rights Section, Civil Rights Division, U.S. Department of Justice.
(4) Affected public who will be asked to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: Individuals alleging discrimination by public entities based on disability. Under title II of the Americans with Disability Act, an individual who believes that he or she has been subjected to discrimination on the basis of disability by a public entity may, by himself or herself or by an authorized representative, file a complaint. Any Federal agency that receives a complaint of discrimination by a public entity is required to review the complaint to determine whether it has jurisdiction under section 504. If the agency does not have jurisdiction, it must determine whether it is the designated agency responsible for complaints filed against that public entity. If the agency does not have jurisdiction under section 504 and is not the designated agency, it must refer the complaint to the Department of Justice. The Department of Justice then must refer the complaint to the appropriate agency.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: 5,000 respondents per year at 0.75 hours per complaint form.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: 3,750 hours annual burden.
If additional information is required contact; Ms. Brenda E. Dyer, Deputy Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Information Management and Security staff, Justice Management Division, Suite 1220, National Place Building, 1331 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W., Washington, DC 20530.Start Signature
Dated: July 31, 2000.
Brenda E. Dyer,
Department Deputy Clearance Officer, Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. 00-19775 Filed 8-3-00; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-13-M