Revision of previously approved collection: Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted LEOKA.
The proposed information collection is published to obtain comments from Start Printed Page 50015the public and affected agencies. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted until October 16, 2000.
Request written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information. Comments should address one or more of the following four points:
(1) Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of the agencies estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques of other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Comments and/or suggestions regarding the item(s) contained in this notice, especially regarding the estimated public burden and associated response time, should be directed to Greg Scarbro (phone number and address listed below). Additional information as well as copies of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions are available by contacting Greg Scarbro, Unit Chief, telephone 304-625-4830, FBI, CJIS Division, Statistical Unit, E-3, 1000 Custer Hollow Road, Clarksburg, WV 26306.
Overview of this information collection:
(1) Type of information collection: Previously approved collection by OMB; request for revision of current form used for collecting information.
(2) The title of the form/collection: Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted (LEOKA).
(3) The agency form number, if any, and applicable component of the department sponsoring the collection. Form: 1-705. Federal Bureau of Investigation, Department of Justice.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as brief abstract. Primary: Local and State Law Enforcement Agencies. This collection is needed to provide data regarding Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted throughout the United States. Data is tabulated and published in the comprehensive annual Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted.
(5) The FBI UCR Program is currently reviewing its race and ethnicity data collection in compliance with the Office of Management and Budget's Revisions for the Standards for the Classification of Federal Data on Race and Ethnicity.
(6) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to reply: 17,667 agencies with 212,004 estimated annual responses (includes zero reports): and with an average completion time of 7 minutes a month per responding agency.
(7) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with this collection: 24,734 hours annually.
If additional information is required contact: Mr. Robert B. Briggs, Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Information Management and Security Staff, Justice Management Division, Suite 850, Washington Center, 1001 G Street, NW., Washington, DC 20530.Start Signature
Dated: August 11, 2000.
Robert B. Briggs,
Department Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. 00-20814 Filed 8-15-00; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-02-M