Previously approved collection by OMB; request for revision of form used for collecting information; Analysis of Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted.
The Department of Justice, Federal Bureau of Investigation has submitted the following information collection request for review and clearance in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The Office of Management and Budget approval is being sought for the information collection listed below. This proposed information collection listed below. This proposed information collection was previously published in the Federal Register on August 16, 2000 allowing for a 60-day public comment period.
The purpose of this notice is to allow an additional 30 days for public comment until November 27, 2000. This process is conducted in accordance with 5 CFR 1320.10.
Request written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information. Comments should address one or more of the following four points:
(1) Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of the agencies estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques of other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Comments and/or suggestions regarding the item(s) contained in this notice, especially regarding the estimated public burden and associated response time, should be directed to Department of Justice Office of Management and Budget, Information and Regulatory Affairs, Attention: Department of Justice Desk Officer, 1725 17th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20530.
Overview of This Information Collection
(1) Type of information collection: Previously approved collection by OMB; request for revision of form used for collecting information.
(2) The title of the form/collection: Analysis of Law Enforcement officers Killed and Assaulted.
(3) The agency form number, if any, and applicable component of the department sponsoring the collection: Form: 1-728. Federal Bureau of Investigation, Department of Justice.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as brief abstract: Primary: Local and State Law Enforcement Agencies. Collection will be printed in English and Spanish. This collection is needed to provide data regarding Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted throughout the United States. Data is analyzed, tabulated, and published in the comprehensive annual Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted.
(5) The FBI UCR Program is currently reviewing its race and ethnicity data collection in compliance with the Office of Management and Budget's Revisions for the Standards for the Classification of Federal Data on Race and Ethnicity.
(6) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to reply: 17,667 agencies with 570 estimated annual responses (zero reports are not required); and with an average of 1 hour per report per responding agency.
(7) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with this collection: 570 hours annually.
If additional information is required contact: Mr. Robert B. Briggs, Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Information Management and Security Staff, Justice Management Division, Suite 850, Washington Center, 1001 G Street, NW., Washington, DC 20530.Start Signature
Dated: October 20, 2000.
Robert B. Briggs,
Department Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. 00-27498 Filed 10-25-00; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-02-M