Notice of extension of currently approved information collection; Nondiscrimination on the Basis of Disability in State and Local Government Services (Certification).
The Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division, has submitted the following information collection request for review and clearance in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. Office of Management and Budget approval is being sought for the information collection listed below. This proposed information collection was previously published in the Federal Register on August 4, 2000, allowing for a 60-day public comment period.
The purpose of this notice is to allow an additional 30 days for public comment until December 6, 2000. This process is conducted in accordance with 5 CFR 1320.10.
Written comments and/or suggestions regarding the item(s) contained in this notice, especially regarding the estimated public burden and associated response time, should be directed to the Office of Management and Budget, Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, Attention: Department of Justice Desk Officer, Washington, DC 20530. Additionally, comments may be submitted to OMB via facsimile to (202) 395-7285. Comments may also be submitted to the Department of Justice (DOJ) Justice Management Division, Information Management and Security Staff, Attention: Department Deputy Clearance Officer, Suite 1220, 1331 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW., Washington, DC 20530.
Written comments and/or suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information should address one or more of the following four points:
(1) Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the function of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of the agency's estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of This information
(1) Type of Information: Extension of Currently Approved Collection.Start Printed Page 66562
(2) The title of the form/collection: Nondiscrimination on the Basis of Disability in State and Local Government Services (Certification).
(3) The agency form number and applicable component of the Department sponsoring the collection: No form number. Disability Rights Section, Civil Rights Division, U.S. Department of Justice.
(4) Affected public who will be asked to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: State, Local or Tribal Government. Under title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act, on the application of a State or local government, the Assistant Attorney General for Civil Rights (or his or her designee) may certify that a State or local building code or similar ordinance that establishes accessibility requirements (Code) meets or exceeds the minimum requirements of the ADA for accessibility and usability of “places of public accommodation” and “commercial facilities.”
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: 10 respondents per year at 32 hours per certification.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: 320 hours annual burden.
If additional information is required contact: Mrs. Brenda E. Dyer, Deputy Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Information Management and Security Staff, Justice Management Division, Suite 1220, National Place, 1331 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW., Washington, DC 20530.Start Signature
Dated: October 31, 2000.
Brenda E. Dyer,
Department Deputy Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. 00-28329 Filed 11-3-00; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-13-M