Notice of Information Collection Under Review; Extension of a currently approved collection; Application for Permit to Import Controlled Substances for Domestic and/or Scientific Purposes pursuant to 21 U.S.C. 952 (DEA Form 357).
The Department of Justice, Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), has submitted the following information collection request for review and clearance in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. This proposed information is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted until April 17, 2001.
If you have additional comments, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions or additional information, please contact Mr. Michael E. Moy, Chief, Drug Operations Section, Office of Diversion Control, Drug Enforcement Administration, U.S. Department of Justice, Washington, DC 20537, telephone 202-307-7194.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information should address one or more of the following four points:
1. Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the function of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
2. Evaluate the accuracy of the agency's estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
3. Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
4. Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of This Information
1. Type of information collection: Extension of a currently approved collection.
2. The title of the form/collection: Application for Permit to Import Controlled Substances for Domestic and/or Scientific Purposes pursuant to 21 U.S.C. 952.
3. The agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department sponsoring the collection: Form number: DEA Form 357. Applicable component of the Department sponsoring the collection: Office of Diversion Control, Drug Enforcement Administration, U.S. Department of Justice.
4. Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: Business or other for-profit. Other: None.
Abstract: Title 21, CFR, Section 1312.11, requires any registrant who desires to import certain controlled substances into the United States to have an import permit. In order to obtain the permit, an application must be made to the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) on DEA Form 357.
5. An estimate of the total number of respondents, responses and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond/reply annually: 80 respondents, 320 responses, .25 hour per response. A respondent may submit multiple responses. A respondent will take an estimate of 15 minutes to complete each form.
6. An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: 80 annual burden hours.
Public comments on this proposed information collection are strongly encouraged.
If additional information is required contact: Mr. Robert B. Briggs, Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Information Management and Security Staff, Justice Management Division, National Place Building, Suite 1220, NW, Washington, DC 20530.Start Signature
Dated: February 12, 2001.
Robert B. Briggs,
Department Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. 01-3941 Filed 2-15-01; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-09-M