Skip to Content

Notice

Quarterly IRS Interest Rates Used in Calculating Interest on Overdue Accounts and Refunds on Customs Duties

Document Details

Information about this document as published in the Federal Register.

Published Document

This document has been published in the Federal Register. Use the PDF linked in the document sidebar for the official electronic format.

Start Preamble

AGENCY:

Customs Service, Treasury.

ACTION:

General notice.

SUMMARY:

This notice advises the public of the quarterly Internal Revenue Service interest rates used to calculate interest on overdue accounts (underpayments) and refunds (overpayments) of Customs duties. For the quarter beginning April 1, 2001, the interest rates for overpayments will be 7 percent for corporations and 8 percent for non-corporations, and the interest rate for underpayments will be 8 percent. This notice is published for the convenience of the importing public and Customs personnel.

EFFECTIVE DATE:

April 1, 2001.

Start Further Info

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:

Ronald Wyman, Accounting Services Division, Accounts Receivable Group, 6026 Lakeside Boulevard, Indianapolis, Indiana 46278, (317) 298-1200, extension 1349. Start Printed Page 20174

End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information

SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION:

Background

Pursuant to 19 U.S.C. 1505 and Treasury Decision 85-93, published in the Federal Register on May 29, 1985 (50 FR 21832), the interest rate paid on applicable overpayments or underpayments of Customs duties shall be in accordance with the Internal Revenue Code rate established under 26 U.S.C. 6621 and 6622. Section 6621 was amended (at paragraph (a)(1)(B) by the Internal Revenue Service Restructuring and Reform Act of 1998, Pub.L. 105-206, 112 Stat. 685) to provide different interest rates applicable to overpayments: one for corporations and one for non-corporations.

The interest rates are based on the short-term Federal rate and determined by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) on behalf of the Secretary of the Treasury on a quarterly basis. The rates effective for a quarter are determined during the first-month period of the previous quarter.

In Revenue Ruling 2001-16 (see, 2001-13 IRB 136, dated March 26, 2001), the IRS determined the rates of interest for the third quarter of fiscal year (FY) 2001 (the period of April 1—June 30, 2001). The interest rate paid to the Treasury for underpayments will be the short-term Federal rate (5%) plus three percentage points (3%) for a total of eight percent (8%). For corporate overpayments, the rate is the Federal short-term rate (5%) plus two percentage points (2%) for a total of seven percent (7%). For overpayments made by non-corporations, the rate is the Federal short-term rate (5%) plus three percentage points (3%) for a total of eight percent (8%). These interest rates are subject to change the fourth quarter of FY-2001 (the period of July 1—September 30, 2001).

For the convenience of the importing public and Customs personnel the following list of IRS interest rates used, covering the period from before July of 1974 to date, to calculate interest on overdue accounts and refunds of Customs duties, is published in summary format.

Beginning dateEnding dateUnder-payments (percent)Over-payments (percent)Corporate Overpay (Eff. 1-1-99) (percent)
07017406307566
07017501317699
02017601317877
02017801318066
0201800131821212
0201821231822020
0101830630831616
0701831231841111
0101850630851313
0701851231851111
0101860630861010
07018612318699
01018709308798
100187123187109
0101880331881110
040188093088109
1001880331891110
0401890930891211
1001890331911110
040191123191109
01019203319298
04019209309287
10019206309476
07019409309487
10019403319598
040195063095109
07019503319698
04019606309687
07019603319898
04019812319887
010199033199776
040199033100887
040100033101998
040101063001887
Start Signature

Dated: April 13, 2001.

Charles W. Winwood,

Acting Commissioner of Customs.

End Signature End Supplemental Information

[FR Doc. 01-9647 Filed 4-18-01; 8:45 am]

BILLING CODE 4820-02-P