Customs Service, Treasury.
This notice advises the public of the quarterly Internal Revenue Service interest rates used to calculate interest on overdue accounts (underpayments) and refunds (overpayments) of Customs duties. For the quarter beginning July 1, 2001, the interest rates for overpayments will be 6 percent for corporations and 7 percent Start Printed Page 34989for non-corporations, and the interest rate for underpayments will be 7 percent. This notice is published for the convenience of the importing public and Customs personnel.
July 1, 2001.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Ronald Wyman, Accounting Services Division, Accounts Receivable Group, 6026 Lakeside Boulevard, Indianapolis, Indiana 46278, (317) 298-1200, extension 1349.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
Pursuant to 19 U.S.C. 1505 and Treasury Decision 85-93, published in the Federal Register on May 29, 1985 (50 FR 21832), the interest rate paid on applicable overpayments or underpayments of Customs duties shall be in accordance with the Internal Revenue Code rate established under 26 U.S.C. 6621 and 6622. Section 6621 was amended (at paragraph (a)(1)(B) by the Internal Revenue Service Restructuring and Reform Act of 1998, Pub. L. 105-206, 112 Stat. 685) to provide different interest rates applicable to overpayments: one for corporations and one for non-corporations.
The interest rates are based on the short-term Federal rate and determined by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) on behalf of the Secretary of the Treasury on a quarterly basis. The rates effective for a quarter are determined during the first-month period of the previous quarter.
In Revenue Ruling 2001-32 (see, 2001-26 IRB 1, dated June 25, 2001), the IRS determined the rates of interest for the fourth quarter of fiscal year (FY) 2001 (the period of July 1-September 30, 2001). The interest rate paid to the Treasury for underpayments will be the short-term Federal rate (4%) plus three percentage points (3%) for a total of seven percent (7%). For corporate overpayments, the rate is the Federal short-term rate (4%) plus two percentage points (2%) for a total of six percent (6%). For overpayments made by non-corporations, the rate is the Federal short-term rate (4%) plus three percentage points (3%) for a total of seven percent (7%). These interest rates are subject to change the first quarter of FY-2002 (the period of October 1-December 31, 2001).
For the convenience of the importing public and Customs personnel the following list of IRS interest rates used, covering the period from before July of 1974 to date, to calculate interest on overdue accounts and refunds of Customs duties, is published in summary format.
|Beginning date||Ending date||(In percent)||Corporate Overpayments (Eff. 1-1-99)|
Dated: June 27, 2001.
Charles W. Winwood,
Acting Commissioner of Customs.
[FR Doc. 01-16541 Filed 6-29-01; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4820-02-P