Notice of information collection under review; certification by designated school official.
The Department of Justice, Immigration and Naturalization Service has submitted the following information collection request for review and clearance in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The proposed information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted for sixty days until September 25, 2001.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information should address one or more of the following four points:
(1) Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of the agencies estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of this information collection:
(1) Type of Information Collection: Extension of a currently approved collection.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: Certification by Designated School Official.
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department of Justice sponsoring the collection: Form I-538. Adjudications Division, Immigration and Naturalization Service.
(4) Affected public who will be asked to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: Individuals or Households. This form is used to collect information from non-immigrant students applying for an extension for the length of time of their legal status in the United States as a non-immigrant student while transferring from one school to another and permission to accept or continue employment.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: 165,000 responses at 4 Minutes (.066) per response.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: 10,890 annual burden hours.
If you have additional comments, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions, or additional information, please contact Richard A. Sloan 202-514-3291, Director, Policy Directives and Instructions Branch, Immigration and Naturalization Service, U.S. Department of Justice, Room 5307, 425 I Street, NW., Washington, DC 20536. Additionally, comments and/or suggestions regarding the item(s) contained in this notice, especially regarding the estimated public burden and associated response time may also be directed to Mr. Richard A. Sloan.
If additional information is required contact: Mr. Robert B. Briggs, Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Information Management and Security Staff, Justice Management Division, 1331 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW., Suite 1220, Washington, DC 20530.Start Signature
Dated: July 24, 2001.
Richard A. Sloan,
Department Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Immigration and Naturalization Service.
[FR Doc. 01-18839 Filed 7-26-01; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-10-M