Corporation for National and Community Service.
The Corporation for National and Community Service (hereinafter the “Corporation”), as part of its continuing effort to reduce paperwork and respondent burden, conducts a pre-clearance consultation program to provide the general public and Federal agencies with an opportunity to comment on proposed and/or continuing collections of information in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 (PRA95) (44 U.S.C. 3506(c)(2)(A)). This program helps to ensure that requested data can be provided in the desired format, reporting burden (time and financial resources) is minimized, collection instruments are clearly understood, and the impact of collection requirement on respondents can be properly assessed.
Currently, the Corporation is soliciting comments concerning its proposed AmeriCorps Education Award Utilization Survey. Copies of the information collection requests can be obtained by contacting the office listed below in the ADDRESSES section of this notice.
The Corporation is particularly interested in comments which:
- Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the Corporation, including whether the information will have practical utility;
- Evaluate the accuracy of the agency's estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
- Enhance the quality, utility and clarity of the information to be collected; and,
- Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, Start Printed Page 53589electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submissions of responses.
Written comments must be submitted to the office listed in the ADDRESSES section by December 24, 2001.
Send comments to: Corporation for National and Community Service, Attn. William Ward, Office of Evaluation, 9th Floor, 1201 New York Avenue, NW., Washington, DC 20525.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
William Ward, (202) 606-5000, ext. 375.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
AmeriCorps Education Award Utilization Survey
One of the goals of the AmeriCorps program is furthering the educational opportunities of its members. The AmeriCorps Education Award provides up to $4,725 to help a member pay for further education or to repay student loans. Part-time members get a pro-rated portion of that amount. The Corporation's National Service Trust data showed that about half of the AmeriCorps graduates who have earned Education Awards had begun to use them. Through the proposed study, the Corporation seeks to identify reasons for non-use of Education Awards. In addition, a thorough exploration of trends in non-use and reasons for non-use will identify ways in which the Corporation can meaningfully increase the use of Education Awards, thus furthering educational opportunity.
The Corporation seeks to conduct a survey of former members of the AmeriCorps*State and National, AmeriCorps*VISTA and AmeriCorps*NCCC programs. This survey will entail telephone interviews of approximately 30 minutes in length with 1,000 former AmeriCorps members. It will identify trends in and reasons for non-use of the Educational Awards.
- Type of Review: New collection.
- Agency: Corporation for National and Community Service.
- Title: AmeriCorps Education Award Utilization Survey.
- OMB Number: None.
- Agency Number: None.
- Affected Public: Former AmeriCorps members.
- Total Respondents: 1,000.
- Frequency: One time.
- Average Time Per Response: 30 minutes.
- Estimated Total Burden Hours: 500 hours.
- Total Burden Cost (capital/startup): 0
- Total Burden Cost (operating/maintenance): 0
Comments submitted in response to this notice will be summarized and/or included in the request for Office of Management and Budget approval of the information collection request; they will also become a matter of public record.Start Signature
Dated: October 18, 2001.
Acting Director, Department of Evaluation and Effective Practices.
[FR Doc. 01-26669 Filed 10-22-01; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 6050-$$-P