The Postal Service is amending the rules implementing the Equal Access to Justice Act in Postal Service proceedings to reflect the statutory increase in the amount of the hourly fees payable.
November 2, 2001.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Diane M. Mego, (703) 812-1905.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
The Contract with America Advancement Act of 1996 (Pub. L. 104-121, 110 Stat. 857 (1996)) increased the maximum amount of attorney fees under the Equal Access to Justice Act from $75 per hour to $125 per hour. This rulemaking amends 39 CFR part 960 to conform with the statutory change. In addition, language specifying the allowable fees for expert witnesses is being deleted.
These are statutorily mandated changes in agency rules of procedure before the Judicial Officer and, therefore, it is appropriate for their adoption by the Postal Service to become effective immediately.Start List of Subjects
List of Subjects in 39 CFR Part 960
- Administrative practice and procedure
- Equal access to justice
- Postal Service
Accordingly, the Postal Service adopts amendments to 39 CFR part 960 as specifically set forth below:End Amendment Part Start Part
PART 960—[AMENDED]End Part Start Amendment Part
1. The authority citation for part 960 continues to read as follows:End Amendment Part
2. Section 960.6(b) is amended by removing “$75.00 per hour” and adding $125.00 per hour, or such rate as prescribed by 5 U.S.C. 504”.End Amendment Part Start Amendment Part
3. Section 960.6(b) is further amended by removing “, which is generally $50.00 per hour”.End Amendment Part
4. Section 960.7(a) is amended by removing “$75 per hour” and adding “$125.00 per hour, or such rate as prescribed by 5 U.S.C. 504,”.End Amendment Part Start Signature
Stanley F. Mires,
Chief Counsel, Legislative.
[FR Doc. 01-27626 Filed 11-1-01; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 7710-12-P