60-day notice of information collection under review; extension of a currently approved collection; application for cancellation of removal: 42A) for certain permanent residents, and 42B) adjustment of status for certain nonpermanent residents.
The Department of Justice (DOJ), Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR) has submitted the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and approval in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The proposed information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted for “sixty days” until June 11, 2002. This process is conducted in accordance with 5 CFR 1320.10.
If you have comments especially on the estimated public burden or associated response time, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions or additional information, please contact Chuck Adkins-Blanch, General Counsel, Executive Office for Immigration Review, U.S. Department of Justice, Suite 2600, 5107 Leesburg Pike, Falls Church, Virginia 22041; telephone: (703) 305-0470.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information are encouraged. Your comments should address one or more of the following four points:
(1) Evaluate whether the collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of the agency's estimate of the burden of the collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g. permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of This Information Collection:
(1) Type of Information Collection: Extension of a Currently Approved Collection.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: Application for Cancellation of Removal:
A. 42A for Certain Permanent Residents, and
B. 42B Adjustment of Status for Certain Nonpermanent Residents:
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department of Justice sponsoring the collection: Form Numbers: EOIR 42A, EOIR 42B. Executive Office for Immigration Review, United States Department of Justice.
(4) Affected public who will be asked to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: Individual aliens determined to be removable from the United States. Other: None. Abstract: This information collection is necessary to determine the statutory eligibility of individual aliens who have been determined to be removable from the United States for cancellation of their removal, as well as to provide information relevant to a favorable exercise of discretion.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: 11,000 responses per year at 5 hours, 45 minutes per response.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: 63,250 hours annually.
If additional information is required contact: Mr. Robert B. Briggs, Department Clearance Officer, Information Management and Security Staff, Justice Management Division, United States Department of Justice, Patrick Henry Building, Suite 1600, 601 D Street, NW., Washington, DC 20530.Start Signature
Dated: April 8, 2002.
Robert B. Briggs,
Department Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. 02-8897 Filed 4-11-02; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-30-M