30-Day Notice of Information Collection Under Review: Application for Nonresident Alien's Mexican Border Crossing Card; Form I-190.
The Department of Justice, Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) has submitted the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and clearance in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The information collection was previously published in the Federal Register on April 12, 2002 at 67 FR 18037, allowing for a 60-day public comment period. No public comment was received on this information collection.
The purpose of this notice is to allow an additional 30 days for public comments. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted until September 3, 2002. This process is conducted in accordance with 5 CFR 1320.10.
Written comment and/or suggestions regarding the items contained in this notice, especially regarding the estimated public burden and associated response time, should be directed to the Office of Management and Budget, Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, Attention: Department of Justice Desk Officer, 725-17th Street, NW., Room 10235, Washington, DC 20530.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information should address one or more of the following four points:
(1) Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of the agency's estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of this information collection:
(1) Type of Information Collection: Extension of a currently approved information collection.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: Application for Nonresident Alien's Mexican Border Crossing Card.
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department of Justice sponsoring the collection: Form I-190, Inspections Division, Immigration and Naturalization Service.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: Individuals or Households. Individuals or households. This form will be used to obtain data from an applicant for replacement lost, stolen, or mutilated Mexican Border Crossing Card.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: 270,410 responses at 5 minutes (.083) per response.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: 22,444 annual burden hours.
If you have additional comments, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions, or additional information, please contact Richard A. Sloan 202-514-3291, Director, Regulations and Forms Services Division, Immigration and Naturalization Service, U.S. Department of Justice, 425 I Street, NW., Room 4034, Washington, DC 20536. Additionally, comments and/or suggestions regarding the item(s) contained in this notice, especially regarding the estimated public burden and associated response time may also be directed to Mr. Richard A. Sloan.
If additional information is required contact: Mr. Robert B. Briggs, Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Information Management and Security Staff, Justice Management Division, Patrick Henry Building, 601 D Start Printed Page 50467Street, NW., Ste. 1600, Washington, DC 20530.Start Signature
Dated: July 26, 2002.
Richard A. Sloan,
Department Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Immigration and Naturalization Service.
[FR Doc. 02-19475 Filed 8-1-02; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-10-M