60-day notice of information collection under review; application for suspension of deportation or special rule cancellation of removal (pursuant to Section 203 of Public Law 105-100); Form I-881.
The Department of Justice, Immigration and Naturalization Service has submitted the following information collection request for review and clearance in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The proposed information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted for sixty days until November 12, 2002.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information should address one or more of the following four points:
(1) Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of the agencies estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collection; and
(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of this information collection:
(1) Type of Information Collection: Revision of a currently approved collection.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: Application for Suspension of Deportation or Special Rule Start Printed Page 58078Cancellation of Removal (Pursuant to Section 203 of Public Law 105-100).
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department of Justice sponsoring the collection: Form I-881. Office of International Affairs, Immigration and Naturalization Service.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: Individuals and households. This form is used by nonimmigrant to apply for suspension of deportation or Special Rule cancellation of removal. The information collected on this form is necessary in order for the INS to determine if it has jurisdiction over an individual applying for this release as well as to elicit information regarding the eligibility of an individual applying for this release, pursuant to section 203 of the Nicaraguan Adjustment and Central American Relief Act (NACARA); Pub. L. 105-100.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: 55,000 responses at 12 hours per response.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: 660,000 annual burden hours.
If you have additional comments, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions, or additional information, please contact Richard A. Sloan, 202-514-3291, Director, Policy Directives and Instructions Branch, Immigration and Naturalization Service, U.S. Department of Justice, Room 4034, 425 I Street, NW., Washington, DC 20536. Additionally, comments and/or suggestions regarding the item(s) contained in this notice, especially regarding the estimated public burden and associated response time may also be directed to Mr. Richard A. Sloan.
If additional information is required contact: Mr. Robert B. Briggs, Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Information Management and Security Staff, Justice Management Division, Patrick Henry Building, 601 D Street, NW., Washington, DC 20530.Start Signature
Dated: September 9, 2002.
Richard A. Sloan,
Department Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Immigration and Naturalization Service.
[FR Doc. 02-23392 Filed 9-12-02; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-10-M