Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
Availability of final rule objections; additional extension of comment period.
On February 25, 2002, March 19, 1002, and May 7, 2002, the National Resources Defense Council (NRDC) filed objections with EPA regarding final rules establishing certain tolerances under section 408 of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FFDCA), 21 U.S.C. 346a, for specific pesticide/crop usage. NRDC's objections concern a number of issues under section 408 of the FFDCA including the additional 10x safety factor for the protection of infants and children and aggregate exposure to pesticide chemical residues. Due to difficulties in posting electronic copies of the NRDC objections onto EPA's web page, EPA is extending the comment period from September 17, 2002 to October 16, 2002 to allow adequate time for public comment.
Comments, identified by the docket ID number OPP-2002-0057, must be received on or before October 16, 2002.
Comments may be submitted electronically, by mail, or through hand delivery/courier. Follow the detailed instructions as provided in Unit I. of the SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION. To ensure proper receipt by EPA, it is imperative that you identify docket control number OPP-2002-0057 in the subject line on the first page of your response.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Peter Caulkins, Registration Division, (MC7505C), Office of Pesticide Programs, Environmental Protection Agency, 1200 Pennsylvania Ave., NW., Washington, DC 20460-0001; telephone number: (703) 305-6550; fax number: (703) 305-6920; e-mail address: email@example.com.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
I. General Information
A. Does This Action Apply to Me?
You may be potentially affected by this action if you an agricultural producer, food manufacturer, or pesticide manufacturer. Potentially affected entities may include, but are not limited to:
|Categories||NAICS codes||Example of potentially affected entities|
|Industry||111 112 311 32532||Crop production Animal production Food manufacturing Pesticide manufacturing|
This listing is not intended to be exhaustive, but rather provides a guide for readers regarding entities likely to be affected by this action. Other types of entities not listed in this unit could also be affected. The North American Industrial Classification System (NAICS) codes have been provided to assist you and others in determining whether this action might apply to certain entities. If you have any questions regarding the applicability of this action to a particular entity, consult the person listed under FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT.
B. How Can I Get Copies of This Document and Other Related Information?
1. Docket. EPA has established an official public docket for this action under docket identification (ID) number OPP-2002-0057. The official public docket consists of the documents specifically referenced in this action, any public comments received, and other information related to this action. Although a part of the official docket, the public docket does not include Confidential Business Information (CBI) or other information whose disclosure is restricted by statute. The official public docket is the collection of materials that is available for public viewing at the Public Information and Records Integrity Branch (PIRIB), Rm. 119, Crystal Mall #2, 1921 Jefferson Davis Hwy., Arlington, VA. This docket facility is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding legal holidays. The docket telephone number is (703) 305-5805.
2. Electronic access. You may access this Federal Register document electronically through the EPA Internet under the Federal Register listings at http://www.epa.gov/fedrgstr/. A frequently updated electronic version of 40 CFR part 180 is available at http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/cfrhtml_00/Title_40/40cfrpart 180_00.html, a beta site currently under development.
An electronic version of the public docket is available through EPA's electronic public docket and comment system, EPA Dockets. You may use EPA Dockets at http://www.epa.gov/edocket/ to submit or view public comments, access the index listing of the contents of the official public docket, and to access those documents in the public docket that are available electronically. Although not all docket materials may be available electronically, you may still access any of the publicly available docket materials through the docket facility identified in Unit I.B.1. Once in the system, select search, then key in the appropriate docket ID number. Start Printed Page 58537
C. How and To Whom Do I Submit Comments?
You may submit your comments through the mail, in person, or electronically. To ensure proper receipt by EPA, it is imperative that you identify docket control number OPP-2002-0057 in the subject line of the first page of your response. If you have questions, consult the person listed under FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT.
1. By mail. Submit your comments to: Public Information and Records Integrity Branch (PIRIB), Information Resources and Services Division (7502C), Office of Pesticide Programs (OPP), Environmental Protection Agency, Ariel Rios Bldg., 1200 Pennsylvania Ave., NW., Washington, DC 20460.
2. In person or by courier. Deliver your comments to: Public Information and Records Integrity Branch (PIRIB), Information Resources and Services Division (7502C), Office of Pesticide Programs (OPP), Environmental Protection Agency, Rm. 119, Crystal Mall #2, 1921 Jefferson Davis Highway, Arlington, VA. The PIRIB is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding legal holidays. The PIRIB telephone number is (703) 305-5805.
3. Electronically. You may submit your comments electronically by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org, or you can submit a computer disk as described above. Do not submit any information electronically that you consider to be CBI. Avoid the use of special characters and any form of encryption. Electronic submissions will be accepted in WordPerfect 6, Suite 8, or ASCII file format. All comments in electronic form must be identified by docket control number OPP-2002-0057. Electronic comments may also be filed online at many Federal Depository Libraries.
D. How Should I Handle CBI That I Want To Submit to the Agency?
Do not submit any information electronically that you consider to be CBI. You may claim information that you submit to EPA in response to this document as CBI by marking any part or all of that information as CBI. Information so marked will not be disclosed except in accordance with procedures set forth in 40 CFR part 2. In addition to one complete version of the comment that includes any information claimed as CBI, a copy of the comment that does not contain the information claimed as CBI must be submitted for inclusion in the public version of the official record. Information not marked confidential will be included in the public version of the official record without prior notice. If you have any questions about CBI or the procedures for claiming CBI, please consult the person listed under FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT.
E. What Should I Consider as I Prepare My Comments for EPA?
You may find the following suggestions helpful for preparing your comments:
1. Explain your views as clearly as possible.
2. Describe any assumptions that you used.
3. Provide copies of any technical information and/or data you used that support your views.
4. If you estimate potential burden or costs, explain how you arrived at the estimate that you provide.
5. Provide specific examples to illustrate your concerns.
6. Offer alternative ways to improve the final rule or collection activity.
7. Make sure to submit your comments by the deadline in this final rule extension.
8. To ensure proper receipt by EPA, be sure to identify the docket control number assigned to this action in the subject line on the first page of your response. You may also provide the name, date, and Federal Register citation.
II. What Action Is EPA Taking?
On February 25, 2002, March 19, 2002, and May 7, 2002, the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) filed objections with EPA regarding final rules establishing certain tolerances under section 408 of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FFDCA), 21 U.S.C. 346a, for the following eight pesticides:
6. Halosulfuron methyl;
7. Pymetrozine; and
NRDC's objections concern a number of issues under section 408 of the FFDCA including the additional 10x safety factor for the protection of infants and children and aggregate exposure to pesticide chemical residues. On June 19, 2002 (67 FR 41628) (FRL-7167-7), the Agency announced the availability of, and sought public comment on these objections. EPA has received requests to extend the comment period. In the Federal Register of August 16, 2002 (67 FR 53505) (FRL-7193-6), EPA extended the comment period until September 17, 2002. The objections are available on EPA's Web site at http://www.epa.gov/opprd001/nrdc_objections/ .
Due to difficulty in posting NRDC's tolerance objections onto the EPA web page, EPA is extending the comment period on the NRDC objections to October 16, 2002.Start List of Subjects
List of Subjects in 40 CFR Part 180
- Environmental protection
- Administrative practice and procedure
- Agricultural commodities
- Pesticides and pests
Dated: September 12, 2002.
Acting Director, Office of Pesticide Programs.
[FR Doc. 02-23595 Filed 9-12-02; 1:46 pm]
BILLING CODE 6560-50-S