60-Day notice of information collection under review; revision of a currently approved collection; 2003 Survey of State and Local Law Enforcement Agencies.
The Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs, Bureau of Justice Statistics, has submitted the following information collection request for review and clearance in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. This proposed information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted for “sixty days” until May 12, 2003.
If you have additional comments, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions or additional information, please contact Cynthia J. Schwimer, Comptroller, 202-307-0623, Office of Justice Programs, Start Printed Page 11583U.S. Department of Justice, 810 7th Street, NW., Washington, DC 20531.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information should address one or more of the following four points:
(1) Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the function of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of the agency's estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of this information:
(1) Type of information collection: Revision of a currently approved collection.
(2) The title of the form/collection: 2003 Survey of State and Local Law Enforcement Agencies.
(3) The agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department sponsoring the collection: The form numbers will be updated from CJ-38L and CJ-38S to CJ-44L and CJ-44S, Bureau of Justice Statistics, Office of Justice Programs, U.S. Department of Justice.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: State, Local or Tribal. Other: None. This information collection is a sample survey of State and local law enforcement agencies. The information will provide statistics on agency personnel, budgets, equipment, and policies and procedures.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond/reply: It is estimated that 3,065 respondents will complete a 2 hour form.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: The estimated total annual burden hours to complete the data collection is 6,130.
If additional information is required contact: Mrs. Brenda E. Dyer, Deputy Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Information Management and Security Staff, Justice Management Division, Suite 1600, 601 D Street, NW., Washington, DC 20530.Start Signature
Dated: March 5, 2003.
Brenda E. Dyer,
Department Deputy Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. 03-5671 Filed 3-10-03; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-18-M