30-day notice of information collection under review: new collection, southwest border prosecution initiative.
The Department of Justice (DOJ), Office of Justice Programs has submitted the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and approval in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The proposed information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. This proposed information collection was previously published in the Federal Register Volume 67, Number 195, page 62817 on October 8, 2002, allowing for a 60 day comment period.
The purpose of this notice is to allow for an additional 30 days for public comment until May 1, 2003. This process is conducted in accordance with 5 CFR 1320.10.
Written comments and/or suggestions regarding the items contained in this notice, especially the estimated public burden and associated response time, should be directed to The Office of Management and Budget, Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, Attention Department of Justice Desk Officer, Washington, DC 20503. Additionally, comments may be submitted to OMB via facsimile to (202) 395-7285.
Request written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information are encouraged. Your comments should address one or more of the following four points:
(1) Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of the agencies estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of This Information Collection
(1) Type of Information Collection: New collection.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: Bureau of Justice Assistance, Southwest Border Prosecution Initiative.
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department of Justice sponsoring the collection: Form Number: None. Office of Justice Programs, U.S. Department of Justice.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: State and local government. This information will assist BJA in determining program eligibility and payment levels for select units of general government in Texas, Arizona, New Mexico and California. It will also provide contact and banking information for purposes of ongoing communication and Federal payments resulting from submitting and approved online, Internet-based applications. The respondents will be the chief executive officers or their designees from local governments located in the four States.Start Printed Page 15745
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: There will be an estimated 250 respondents who will complete an application for benefits. The estimated amount of time required for the average respondent to respond is between 2 and 10 hours.
(6) An estimate of the total burden (in hours) associated with the collection: There are an estimated 1,500 burden hours annually associated with this information collection.
If additional information is required contact: Mrs. Brenda E. Dyer, Deputy Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Information Management and Security Staff, Justice Management Division, Suite 1600, Patrick Henry Building, 601 D Street, NW., Washington, DC 20530.Start Signature
Dated: March 27, 2003.
Brenda E. Dyer,
Department Deputy Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. 03-7810 Filed 3-31-03; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-18-M