30-Day Notice of Information Collection Under Review: Extension of a currently approved collection; Renewal of Explosives License or Permit.
The Department of Justice (DOJ), Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) has submitted the following information collection requested to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and approval in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Action of 1995. The proposed information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. This proposed information collection was previously published in the Federal Register,Volume 68, Number 75, page 19227 on April 18, 2003, allowing for a 60-day comment period.
The purpose of this notice is to allow for an additional 30 days for public comment until August 8, 2003. This process is conducted in accordance with 5 CFR 1320.10.
Written comments and/or suggestions regarding the items contained in this notice, especially the estimated public burden and associated response time, should be directed to The Office of Management and Budget, Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, Attention Department of Justice Desk Officer, Washington, DC 20503. Additionally, comments may be submitted to OMB via facsimile to (202) 395-7285.
Request written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information are encouraged. Your comments should address one or more of the following four points:
(1) Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of the agencies estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; andStart Printed Page 41017
(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of This Information Collection
(1) Type of Information Collection: Extension of a currently approved collection.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: Renewal of Exlosives License or Permit.
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department of Justice sponsoring the collection: Form Number: ATF F 5400.14/5400.15, Part III. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: Business or other for-profit. Other: Federal Government, State, Local, or Tribal Government. Abstract: The information collection activity is used for the renewal of explosives licenses or permits. This short renewal form is used in lieu of a more detailed application.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: There will be an estimated 2,500 respondents, who will complete the form within approximately 20 minutes.Start Signature
Dated: July 2, 2003.
Brenda E. Dyer,
Department Deputy Clearance OIfficer, Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. 03-17330 Filed 7-8-03; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-FB-M