60-Day Notice of Information Collection Under Review; Employment Eligibility Verification; Form I-9.
The Department of Homeland Security, Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services has submitted the following information collection request for review and clearance in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The proposed information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted for sixty days until September 26, 2003.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information should address one or more of the following four points:
(1) Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of the agency's estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Enhance the equality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of This Information Collection
(1) Type of Information Collection: Extension of currently approved collection.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: Employment Eligibility Verification.
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department of Justice sponsoring the collection: Form I-9. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services, Department of Homeland Security.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: Individuals or households. This form was developed to facilitate compliance with section 274A of the Immigration and Nationality Act, as amended by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, which prohibits the knowing employment of unauthorized aliens. The information collected is used by employers or by recruiters for enforcement of provisions of immigration laws that are designed to control the employment of unauthorized aliens.Start Printed Page 44348
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: 78,000,000 responses at 9 minutes (.15 hours) per response and 20,000,000 recordkeepers at 4 minutes (.066 hours) per response.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: 13,020,000 annual burden hours.
If you have additional comments, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions, or additional information, please contact Richard A. Sloan, 202-514-3291, Director, Regulations and Forms Services, Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services, Department of Homeland Security, Room 4034, 425 I Street, NW., Washington, DC 20536. Additionally, comments and/or suggestions regarding the item(s) contained in this notice, especially regarding the estimated public burden and associated response time may also be directed to Mr. Richard A. Sloan.
If additional information is required contact: Mr. Lewis Oleinick, Clearance Officer, Department of Homeland Security, Regional Office Building 3, 7th and D Streets, SW., Room 4636-26, Washington, DC 20202.Start Signature
Dated: July 22, 2003.
Richard A. Sloan,
Department Clearance Officer, United States Department of Homeland Security, Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services.
[FR Doc. 03-19052 Filed 7-25-03; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-10-M