60-Day Notice of Information Collection Under Review: FBI Questionnaire for National Security Positions.
The Department of Justice (DOJ), Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI), has submitted the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and approval in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The proposed information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted for “sixty days” until October 6, 2003. This process is conducted in accordance with 5 CFR 1320.10.
If you have comments especially on the estimated public burden or associated response time, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions or additional information, please contact Ms. Gari L. Carter, Supervisory Applicant Case Specialist, Bureau Applicant Employment Unit, Applicant Processing Section, Administrative Services Division, Federal Bureau of Investigation, Washington, DC 20535, (202) 324-0801.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information are encouraged. Your comments should address one or more of the following four points:
(1) Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of the agencies estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of this information collection:
(1) Type of Information Collection: New Collection. Start Printed Page 46228
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: FBI Questionnaire for National Security Positions.
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department of Justice sponsoring the collection: Form Number: FD-957, Federal Bureau of Investigation, U.S. Department of Justice.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: Federal Government. Other: Individuals. In accordance with the FBI's efforts to re-engineer the hiring process for FBI employment and in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995, Public Law 104.13.109 Stat.163, the FBI has determined that suitability determinations and the granting/denying of security clearances can be made based on information provided by applicants on the SF-86, Questionnaire for National Security Positions in addition to a supplemental FBI form to collect collateral information. This form has been designated as FD-957, FBI Questionnaire for National Security Positions.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: It is estimated that 50,000 respondents with an average response rate of one-half hour to complete each form.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: There are an estimated 25,000 total annual burden hours associated with this collection.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Brenda E. Dyer, Deputy Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Justice Management Division, Policy and Planning Staff, Patrick Henry Building, Suite 1600, 601 D Street NW, Washington, DC 20530.Start Signature
Dated: July 30, 2003.
Brenda E. Dyer,
Deputy Clearance Officer, Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. 03-19851 Filed 8-4-03; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-02-P