60-Day Notice of Information Collection Under Review: National Tracing Center Trace Request and NTC Obliterated Serial Number Trace Request.
The Department of Justice (DOJ), Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), has submitted the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and approval in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The proposed information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted for “sixty days” until October 6, 2003. This process is conducted in accordance with 5 CFR 1320.10.
If you have comments especially on the estimated public burden or associated response time, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions or additional information, please contact Ben Hayes, ATF National Tracing Center, 244 Needy Road, Martinsburg, WV 25401.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information are encouraged. Your comments should address one or more of the following four points:
(1) Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of the agencies estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of this information collection:
(1) Type of Information Collection: Extension of a currently approved collection
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: National Tracing Center Trace Request and Obliterated Serial Number Trace Request.
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department of Justice sponsoring the collection: Form Number: ATF F 3312.1 and ATF F 3312.2. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, U.S. Department of Justice.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: Federal Governmen. Other:State, Local, or Tribal Government. The forms are used by the Federal, State, Local, and International law enforcement community to request that ATF trace firearms used, or suspected to have been used, in crimes.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: It is estimated that 112,123 respondents will complete each form within 6 minutes.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: There are an estimated 22, 425 annual total burden hours associated with this collection. Start Printed Page 46225
If additional information is required contact: Brenda E. Dyer, Deputy Clearance Officer, Policy and Planning Staff, Justice Management Division, Department of Justice, Patrick Henry Building, Suite 1600, 601 D Street NW, Washington, DC 20530.Start Signature
Dated: July 31, 2003.
Brenda E. Dyer,
Deputy Clearance Officer, Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. 03-19852 Filed 8-4-03; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-FB-P