30-Day notice of information collection under review: passenger list, crew list; Form I-418.
The Bureau of Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has submitted the Start Printed Page 59800following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and clearance in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The information collection was previously published in the Federal Register on February 20, 2003 at 68 FR 8308, allowing for a 30-day public comment period. No public comment was received on this information collection and the collection was granted temporary approval by the OMB.
The purpose of this notice is to allow an additional 30 days for public comments on the extension of the current information collection. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted until November 17, 2003. This process is conducted in accordance with 5 CFR 1320.10.
Written comments and/or suggestions regarding the items contained in this notice, especially regarding the estimated public burden and associated response time, should be directed to the Office of Management and Budget, Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, Attention: Department of Justice Desk Officer, 725 17th Street, NW., Room 10235, Washington, DC 20530.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information should address one or more of the following four points:
(1) Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of the agency's estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of This Information Collection
(1) Type of Information Collection: Extension of a currently approved information collection.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: Passenger List, Crew List.
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department of Justice sponsoring the collection: Form I-418, Bureau of Customs and Border Protection, Department of Homeland Security.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as brief abstract: Primary Individuals or Households. This form is prescribed by the Attorney General for the CBP for use by masters, owners or agents of vessels in complying with sections 231 and 251 of the Immigration and Nationality Act.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: 95,000 responses at 1 hour per response.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: 95,000 annual burden hours.
If you have additional comments, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions, or additional information, please contact Richard A. Sloan 202-514-3291, Director, Regulations and Forms Services Division, Department of Homeland Security, 425 I Street, NW., Room 4034, Washington, DC 20536. Additionally, comments and/or suggestions regarding the item(s) contained in this notice, especially regarding the estimated public burden and associated response time may also be directed to Mr. Richard A. Sloan.
If additional information is required contact: Ms. Theresa O'Malley, Chief Information Officer, Department of Homeland Security, Regional Office Building 3, 7th and D Streets, SW., Suite 4636-26, Washington, DC 20202.Start Signature
Dated: October 9, 2003.
Richard A. Sloan,
Department Clearance Officer, Department of Homeland Security, Bureau of Customs and Border Protection.
[FR Doc. 03-26225 Filed 10-16-03; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-10-M