On the basis of information developed in the subject investigation, the United States International Trade Commission determines, pursuant to section 421(b)(1) of the Trade Act of 1974, that certain ductile iron waterworks fittings  from the People's Republic of China are being imported into the United States in such increased quantities or under such conditions as to cause market disruption to the domestic producers of like or directly competitive products.
Following receipt of a petition, on September 5, 2003, on behalf of McWane, Inc., Birmingham, AL, the Commission instituted investigation No. TA-421-4, Certain Ductile Iron Waterworks Fittings from China, under section 421(b) of the Act to determine Start Printed Page 69422whether certain ductile iron waterworks fittings from China are being imported into the United States in such increased quantities or under such conditions as to cause market disruption to the domestic producers of like or directly competitive products. The petition also alleged under section 421(i)(1)(A) of the Act, that critical circumstances exist with respect to imports of the subject product from China, and on October 20, 2003, the Commission made a negative determination   with respect to whether delay in taking action under this section would cause damage to the relevant domestic industry which would be difficult to repair (68 FR 61013, October 24, 2003).
Notice of the institution of the Commission's investigation and of the scheduling of a public hearing to be held in connection therewith was given by posting a copy of the notice on the Commission's Web site (http://www.usitc.gov) and by publishing the notice in the Federal Register of September 15, 2003 (68 FR 54010). The hearing was held on November 6, 2003, in Washington, DC; all persons who requested the opportunity were permitted to appear in person or by counsel.Start Signature
By order of the Commission.
Issued: December 8, 2003.
Marilyn R. Abbott,
2. The products subject to this investigation are cast pipe or tube fittings of ductile iron (containing 2.5 percent carbon and over 0.02 percent magnesium or magnesium and cerium, by weight) with mechanical, push-on (rubber compression) or flanged joints attached. Included within this definition are fittings of all nominal diameters and of both full-bodied and compact designs. The imported products are provided for in statistical reporting number 7307.19.3070 of the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States (HTS).Back to Citation
3. Commissioners Koplan and Lane determine that certain ductile iron waterworks fittings from China are being imported into the United States in such increased quantities as to cause market disruption to the domestic producers of like products.Back to Citation
4. McWane operates three subsidiaries that produce the subject products including: Clow Water Systems Co., Coshocton, OH; Tyler Pipe Co., Tyler, TX; and Union Foundry Co., Anniston, AL.Back to Citation
5. Commissioner Lane made an affirmative critical circumstances determination.
6. Commissioner Pearson did not participate in the critical circumstances determination.Back to Citation
[FR Doc. 03-30731 Filed 12-11-03; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 7020-02-P