This site displays a prototype of a “Web 2.0” version of the daily Federal Register. It is not an official legal edition of the Federal Register, and does not replace the official print version or the official electronic version on GPO’s govinfo.gov.
The documents posted on this site are XML renditions of published Federal Register documents. Each document posted on the site includes a link to the corresponding official PDF file on govinfo.gov. This prototype edition of the daily Federal Register on FederalRegister.gov will remain an unofficial informational resource until the Administrative Committee of the Federal Register (ACFR) issues a regulation granting it official legal status. For complete information about, and access to, our official publications and services, go to About the Federal Register on NARA's archives.gov.
The OFR/GPO partnership is committed to presenting accurate and reliable regulatory information on FederalRegister.gov with the objective of establishing the XML-based Federal Register as an ACFR-sanctioned publication in the future. While every effort has been made to ensure that the material on FederalRegister.gov is accurately displayed, consistent with the official SGML-based PDF version on govinfo.gov, those relying on it for legal research should verify their results against an official edition of the Federal Register. Until the ACFR grants it official status, the XML rendition of the daily Federal Register on FederalRegister.gov does not provide legal notice to the public or judicial notice to the courts.
Internal Revenue Service (IRS), Treasury.
Correction to notice of proposed rulemaking and notice of public hearing.
This document contains corrections to a notice of proposed rulemaking and notice of public hearing that was published in the Federal Register on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 (68 FR 53448). The proposed regulations provide guidance regarding the treatment of controlled services transactions under section 482 and the allocation of income from intangibles in particular when one controlled taxpayer performs activities that increase (or are expected to increase) the valve of an intangible owned by another controlled taxpayer.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
J. Peter Luedtke or Helen Hong-George, (202) 435-5265 (not a toll-free number).End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
The notice of proposed rulemaking and notice of public hearing that is the subject of this correction is under section 482 of the Internal Revenue Code.
Need for Correction
As published, the notice of proposed rulemaking and notice of public hearing contains errors that may prove to be misleading and are in need of clarification.
Correction of Publication
Accordingly, the publication of the notice of proposed regulations and Start Printed Page 70215notice of public hearing (REG-146893-02, REG-115037-00), that was the subject of FR Doc. 03-22550, are corrected as follows:
1. On page 53448, column 1, in the preamble under the paragraph heading “DATES”, second line of the paragraph, the language “must be received December 9, 2003.” is corrected to read “must be received by December 9, 2003.”
2. On page 53449, column 2, in the preamble under the paragraph heading “2. Income Attributable to Intangibles”, fifth line of the paragraph, the language, “property. The Taxpayers and other” is corrected to read “property. Taxpayers and other”.
3. On page 53455, column 3, in the preamble under the paragraph heading “10. Total Services Costs—§ 1.482-9(j)”, the last line of the paragraph, the language, “analysis of the result expressed as ration” is corrected to read “analysis of the result expressed as the ratio”.
4. On page 53464, column 3, following § 1.482-6(c)(3)(i)(B)(2), paragraph (c)(3)(ii) is added to read as follows:
(c) * * *
(3) * * * (i) * * *
(ii) * * *
5. On page 53473, columns 2 and 3, § 1.482-9(f)(2)(iv)(A) through (C) introductory text are corrected to read as follows:
(f) * * *
(2) * * *
(iv) Measurement of limitation on allocations: The rules of paragraphs (f)(2)(i) and (ii) of this section are expressed in this paragraph (f)(2)(iv) in equations and a table.
(A) The minimum arm's length markup necessary for an allocation by the Commissioner (Z) is the sum of the markup charged by the taxpayer (X) and the applicable number of percentage points determined under paragraph (f)(2)(ii) of this section (Y). Where the markup charged by the taxpayer is not less than zero, the minimum arm's length markup necessary for allocation by the Commissioner (Z) also equals the lesser of—
(1) The sum of six percentage points and half of the markup charged by the taxpayer (X); and
(2) Ten percentage points.
(B) The equations in paragraph (f)(2)(iv)(A) of this section may also be expressed as follows:
Z = X + Y = min((6% + 0.5 × X), 10%) where X ≥ 0.
(C) The following table illustrates the results of these calculations in representative cases:
6. On page 53480, column 1, § 1.482-9(l)(4), Example 12, the last line of the paragraph, the language, “therefore Company Y is considered to obtain.” is corrected to read “therefore Company Y is considered to obtain a benefit from the activities.”
Cynthia E. Grigsby,
Acting Chief, Publications and Regulations Branch, Legal Processing Division, Associate Chief Counsel (Procedure and Administration).
[FR Doc. 03-31034 Filed 12-16-03; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4830-01-P