Department of Defense (DoD).
Proposed rule with request for comments.
DoD is proposing to amend the Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement (DFARS) to update text pertaining to the acquisition of commercial items. This proposed rule is a result of an initiative undertaken by DoD to dramatically change the purpose and content of the DFARS.
Comments on the proposed rule should be submitted in writing to the address shown below on or before August 9, 2004, to be considered in the formation of the final rule.
You may submit comments, identified by DFARS Case 2003-D074, using any of the following methods:
- Federal eRulemaking Portal: http://www.regulations.gov. Follow the instructions for submitting comments.
- Defense Acquisition Regulations Web Site: http://emissary.acq.osd.mil/dar/dfars.nsf/pubcomm. Follow the instructions for submitting comments.
- E-mail: email@example.com. Include DFARS Case 2003-D074 in the subject line of the message.
- Fax: (703) 602-0350.
- Mail: Defense Acquisition Regulations Council, Attn: Ms. Teresa Brooks, OUSD (AT&L) DPAP (DAR), IMD 3C132, 3062 Defense Pentagon, Washington, DC 20301-3062.
- Hand Delivery/Courier: Defense Acquisition Regulations Council, Crystal Square 4, Suite 200A, 241 18th Street, Arlington, VA 22202-3402.
All comments received will be posted to http://emissary.acq.osd.mil/dar/dfars.nsf.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Ms. Teresa Brooks, (703) 602-0326.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
DFARS Transformation is a major DoD initiative to dramatically change the purpose and content of the DFARS. The objective is to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the acquisition process, while allowing the acquisition workforce the flexibility to innovate. The transformed DFARS will contain only requirements of law, DoD-wide policies, delegations of FAR authorities, deviations from FAR requirements, and policies/procedures that have a significant effect beyond the internal operating procedures of DoD or a significant cost or administrative impact on contractors or offerors. Additional information on the DFARS Transformation initiative is available at http://www.acq.osd.mil/dpap/dfars/transf.htm.
This proposed rule is a result of the DFARS Transformation initiative. The proposed changes—
- Delete unnecessary text pertaining to structuring of contracts at DFARS 212.303; and
- Update a FAR reference at DFARS 212.503(c)(ii).
This rule was not subject to Office of Management and Budget review under Executive Order 12866, dated September 30, 1993.
B. Regulatory Flexibility Act
DoD does not expect this rule to have a significant economic impact on a substantial number of small entities within the meaning of the Regulatory Flexibility Act, 5 U.S.C. 601, et seq., because the rule deletes unnecessary text pertaining to structuring of contracts and updates reference information, but makes no significant change to contracting policy. Therefore, DoD has not performed an initial regulatory flexibility analysis. DoD invites comments from small businesses and other interested parties. DoD also will consider comments from small entities concerning the affected DFARS subparts in accordance with 5 U.S.C. 610. Such comments should be submitted separately and should cite DFARS Case 2003-D074.
C. Paperwork Reduction Act
The Paperwork Reduction Act does not apply, because the rule does not impose any information collection requirements that require the approval of the Office of Management and Budget under 44 U.S.C. 3501, et seq.Start List of Subjects
List of Subjects in 48 CFR Part 212End List of Subjects Start Signature
Michele P. Peterson,
Executive Editor, Defense Acquisition Regulations Council.
Therefore, DoD proposes to amend 48 CFR part 212 as follows:
1. The authority citation for 48 CFR part 212 continues to read as follows:Start Part
PART 212—ACQUISITION OF COMMERCIAL ITEMS
2. Section 212.303 is removed.
3. Section 212.503 is amended in paragraph (c)(ii) by revising the parenthetical to read “(see FAR 15.403-1(b)(3))”.
[FR Doc. 04-12937 Filed 6-7-04; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 5001-08-P