60-Day notice of information collection under review: Inventories, Licensed Explosives Importers, Manufacturers, Dealers, and Permittees.
The Department of Justice (DOJ), Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), has submitted the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and approval in accordance with the Paperwork Start Printed Page 34191Reduction Act of 1995. The proposed information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted for “sixty days” until August 17, 2004. This process is conducted in accordance with 5 CFR 1320.10.
If you have comments especially on the estimated public burden or associated response time, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions or additional information, please contact Gary Patterson, Explosives Industry Programs Branch, Room 5150, 650 Massachusetts Avenue, NW., Washington, DC 20226.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information are encouraged. Your comments should address one or more of the following four points:
—Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
—Evaluate the accuracy of the agencies estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
—Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
—Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of This Information Collection
(1) Type of Information Collection: Extension of a currently approved collection.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: Inventories, Licensed Explosives Importers, Manufacturers, Dealers, and Permittees.
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department of Justice sponsoring the collection: Form Number: ATF REC 5400/1. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: Business or other for-profit. Other: None. The records show the explosive material inventories of those persons engaged in various activities within the explosives industry and are used by the government as initial figures from which an audit trail can be developed during the course of a compliance inspection or criminal investigation. Licensees and permittees shall keep records on the business premises for five years from the date a transaction occurs or until discontinuance of business or operations by licensees or permittees.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: It is estimated that 13,106 respondents will take 2 hours to complete the records.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: There are an estimated 26,212 annual total burden hours associated with this collection.
If additional information is required contact: Brenda E. Dyer, Deputy Clearance Officer, Policy and Planning Staff, Justice Management Division, Department of Justice, Patrick Henry Building, Suite 1600, 601 D Street NW., Washington, DC 20530.Start Signature
Dated: June 10, 2004.
Brenda E. Dyer,
Deputy Clearance Officer, Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. 04-13742 Filed 6-17-04; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-FY-M