Department of Defense (DoD).
Proposed rule with request for comments.
DoD is proposing to amend the Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement (DFARS) to extend the ending date for phasing out domestic source restrictions on the acquisition of polyacrylonitrile (PAN) carbon fiber. The ending date will be extended from May 31, 2005, to May 31, 2006.
Comments on the proposed rule should be submitted in writing to the address shown below on or before August 24, 2004, to be considered in the formation of the final rule.
You may submit comments, identified by DFARS Case 2004-D002, using any of the following methods:
- Federal eRulemaking Portal: http://www.regulations.gov. Follow the instructions for submitting comments.
- Defense Acquisition Regulations Web site: http://emissary.acq.osd.mil/dar/dfars.nsf/pubcomm. Follow the instructions for submitting comments.
- E-mail: email@example.com. Include DFARS Case 2004-D002 in the subject line of the message.
- Fax: (703) 602-0350.
- Mail: Defense Acquisition Regulations Council, Attn: Ms. Amy Williams, OUSD(AT&L)DPAP(DAR), IMD 3C132, 3062 Defense Pentagon, Washington, DC 20301-3062.
- Hand Delivery/Courier: Defense Acquisition Regulations Council, Crystal Square 4, Suite 200A, 241 18th Street, Arlington, VA 22202-3402.
All comments received will be posted to http://emissary.acq.osd.mil/dar/dfars.nsf.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Ms. Amy Williams, (703) 602-0328.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
This rule proposes amendments to DFARS Subpart 225.71 to extend the ending date for phasing out domestic source restrictions on the acquisition of PAN carbon fiber from May 31, 2005, to May 31, 2006. The clause at DFARS 252.225-7022, Restriction on Acquisition of Polyacrylonitrile (PAN) Carbon Fiber, will be required in solicitations and contracts for major systems issued on or before May 31, 2006, if the system is not yet in development and demonstration.
The current phase-out schedule was added to the DFARS on December 13, 2000 (65 FR 77832). The aerospace industry has requested an extension of the phase-out in order to provide U.S. companies sufficient time to maintain the industrial and technological capability to support a critical material used in advanced aerospace weapons programs. DoD considers a one-year extension to be appropriate at this time.
This rule was not subject to Office of Management and Budget review under Executive Order 12866, dated September 30, 1993.
B. Regulatory Flexibility Act
The proposed rule is not expected to have a significant economic impact on a substantial number of small entities within the meaning of the Regulatory Flexibility Act, 5 U.S.C. 601, et seq., because there are no known domestic small business manufacturers of PAN carbon fiber. Therefore, DoD has not performed an initial regulatory flexibility analysis. DoD invites comments from small businesses and other interested parties. DoD also will consider comments from small entities concerning the affected DFARS subpart in accordance with 5 U.S.C. 610. Such Start Printed Page 35568comments should be submitted separately and should cite DFARS Case 2004-D002.
C. Paperwork Reduction Act
The Paperwork Reduction Act does not apply because the rule does not impose any information collection requirements that require the approval of the Office of Management and Budget under 44 U.S.C. 3501, et seq.Start List of Subjects
List of Subjects in 48 CFR Part 225End List of Subjects Start Signature
Michele P. Peterson,
Executive Editor, Defense Acquisition Regulations Council.
Therefore, DoD proposes to amend 48 CFR part 225 as follows:
1. The authority citation for 48 CFR part 225 continues to read as follows:Start Part
PART 225—FOREIGN ACQUISITION
2. Section 225.7103-1 is amended by revising the second sentence to read as follows:
* * * DoD is phasing out the restrictions over the period ending May 31, 2006. * * *
3. Section 225.7103-3 is revised to read as follows:
Use the clause at 252.225-7022, Restriction on Acquisition of Polyacrylonitrile (PAN) Carbon Fiber, in solicitations and contracts for major systems issued on or before May 31, 2006, if the system is not yet in engineering and manufacturing development (milestone B as defined in DoDI 5000.2).
[FR Doc. 04-14339 Filed 6-24-04; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 5001-08-P