30-day notice of information collection under review: Implementation of Pub. L. 103-322, the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994.
The Department of Justice (DOJ), Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) has submitted the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and approval in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The proposed information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. This proposed information collection was previously published in the Federal Register volume 69, number 90, on page 25922 on May 10, 2004, allowing for a 60 day comment period.
The purpose of this notice is to allow for an additional 30 days for public comment until September 7, 2004. This process is conducted in accordance with 5 CFR 1320.10.
Written comments and/or suggestions regarding the items contained in this notice, especially the estimated public burden and associated response time, should be directed to the Office of Management and Budget, Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, Attention Department of Justice Desk Officer, Washington, DC 20503. Additionally, comments may be submitted to OMB via facsimile to (202) 395-5806.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies Start Printed Page 47465concerning the proposed collection of information are encouraged. Your comments should address one or more of the following four points:
—Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility,
—Evaluate the accuracy of the agencies estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used,
—Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected, and
—Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of this Information Collection
(1) Type of Information Collection: Extension of a currently approved collection.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: Implementation of Pub. L. 103-322, The Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994.
(3) Agency Form Number, if Any, and the Applicable Component of the Department of Justice Sponsoring the Collection: Form Number: None. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
(4) Affected Public Who Will Be Asked or Required to Respond, as well as a Brief Abstract: Primary: Business or other for-profit. Other: none. Abstract: The Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994 restricts the manufacture, transfer, and possession of certain semiautomatic assault weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices. Federal firearms licensees may transfer these weapons to law enforcement agencies and law enforcement officers with proper documentation. This documentation is necessary for ATF to ensure compliance with the law and to prevent the introduction of semiautomatic assault weapons into commercial channels.
(5) An Estimate of the Total Number of Respondents and the Amount of Time Estimated for an Average Respondent To Respond: It is estimated that 2,107,000 respondents will provide the necessary documentation and maintain records for a total of 2 hours and 50 minutes.
(6) An Estimate of the Total Burden (in Hours) Associated with the Collection: There are an estimated 458,940 total burden hours associated with this collection.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Brenda E. Dyer, Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Policy and Planning Staff, Justice Management Division, Suite 1600, Patrick Henry Building, 601 D Street, NW., Washington, DC 20530.Start Signature
Dated: July 30, 2004.
Brenda E. Dyer,
Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. 04-17840 Filed 8-4-04; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-FY-P