The Department of Labor (DOL) has submitted the following public information collection request (ICR) to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and approval in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 (Pub. L. 104-13, 44 U.S.C. chapter 35). A copy of this ICR, with applicable supporting documentation, may be obtained by contacting the Department of Labor (DOL). To obtain documentation, contact Darrin King on 202-693-4129 (this is not a toll-free number) or e-mail: email@example.com.
Comments should be sent to Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, Attn: OMB Desk Officer for the Employee Benefits Security Administration (EBSA), Office of Management and Budget, Room 10235, Washington, DC 20503, 202-395-7316 (this is not a toll-free number), within 30 days from the date of this publication in the Federal Register.
The OMB is particularly interested in comments which:
- Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
- Evaluate the accuracy of the agency's estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
- Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
- Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Agency: Employee Benefits Security Administration.
Type of Review: Extension of currently approved collection.
Title: Regulation Relating to Loans to Plan Participants and Beneficiaries Who are Parties in Interest with Respect to the Plan.
OMB Number: 1210-0076.
Frequency: On occasion.
Type of Response: Third party disclosure.
Affected Public: Business or other for-profit; Not-for-profit institutions; and Individuals or households.
Number of Respondents: 1,700.
Number of Annual Responses: 1,700.
Estimated Time Per Response: 3 hours.
Total Burden Hours: 1.Start Printed Page 51862
Total Annualized capital/startup costs: $0.
Total Annual Costs (operating/maintaining systems or purchasing services): $428,400.
Description: The Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (ERISA) prohibits a fiduciary with respect to a plan from causing the plan to engage in the direct or indirect lending of money or other extension of credit between the plan and a party in interest. ERISA section 408(b)(1) exempts loans made by a plan to parties in interest who are participants and beneficiaries of the plan from this prohibition provided that certain requirements are satisfied. The regulation at 29 CFR 2550.408b-1 provides additional guidance on section 408(b)(1)(C), which requires that loans must be made in accordance with specific provisions set forth in the plan. This ICR relates to the specific provisions that must be included in plan documents for those plans that permit loans to participants.Start Signature
Ira L. Mills,
Departmental Clearance Officer.
1. Generally, because of the specialized knowledge required, attorneys and professional administrators acting as service providers to plans are most likely to draft amendments that would describe or modify a loan program. Therefore, the burden for the information collected is accounted for as a cost burden.Back to Citation
[FR Doc. 04-19196 Filed 8-20-04; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4510-29-P