Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, USDA.
Extension of approval of an information collection; comment request.
In accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995, this notice announces the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service's intention to request an extension of approval of an information collection associated with regulations for the importation of Hass avocados from Mexico.
We will consider all comments that we receive on or before October 22, 2004.
You may submit comments by any of the following methods:
- Postal Mail/Commercial Delivery: Please send four copies of your comment (an original and three copies) to Docket No. 04-070-1, Regulatory Analysis and Development, PPD, APHIS, Station 3C71, 4700 River Road Unit 118, Riverdale, MD 20737-1238. Please state that your comment refers to Docket No. 04-070-1.
- E-mail: Address your comment to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your comment must be contained in the body of your message; do not send attached files. Please include your name and address in your message and “Docket No. 04-070-1” on the subject line.
- Agency Web Site: Go to http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ppd/rad/cominst.html for a form you can use to submit an e-mail comment through the APHIS Web site.
Reading Room: You may read any comments that we receive on this docket in our reading room. The reading room is located in room 1141 of the USDA South Building, 14th Street and Independence Avenue SW., Washington, DC. Normal reading room hours are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, except holidays. To be sure someone is there to help you, please call (202) 690-2817 before coming.
Other Information: You may view APHIS documents published in the Federal Register and related information, including the names of groups and individuals who have commented on APHIS dockets, on the Internet at http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ppd/rad/webrepor.html.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
For information regarding regulations for the importation of Hass avocados from Mexico, contact Ms. Karen Bedigian, Import Specialist, Phytosanitary Issues Management, PPQ, APHIS, 4700 River Road Unit 140, Riverdale, MD 20737; (301) 734-4382. For copies of more detailed information on the information collection, contact Mrs. Celeste Sickles, APHIS' Information Collection Coordinator, at (301) 734-7477.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
Title: Importation of Hass Avocados from Mexico.
OMB Number: 0579-0129.
Type of Request: Extension of approval of an information collection.
Abstract: The Plant Protection Act (7 U.S.C. 7701-7772) authorizes the Secretary of Agriculture to regulate the importation of plants, plant products, and other articles into the United States to prevent the introduction of plant pests and noxious weeds.
The regulations in “Subpart-Fruits and Vegetables” (7 CFR 319.56 through 319.56-8) allow the importation of Hass avocados from Michoacan, Mexico, into the United States, including 31 States and the District of Columbia, under certain conditions. The regulations require the use of permits, cooperative agreements, phytosanitary certificates, and box marking to indicate the States where distribution is prohibited.
We are asking the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) to approve our use of these information collection activities for an additional 3 years.
The purpose of this notice is to solicit comments from the public (as well as affected agencies) concerning our information collection. These comments will help us:
(1) Evaluate whether the collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the Agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of our estimate of the burden of the information collection, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) Minimize the burden of the information collection on those who are to respond, through use, as appropriate, of automated, electronic, mechanical, and other collection technologies, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Estimate of burden: The public reporting burden for this collection of information is estimated to average 0.00006633 hours per response.
Respondents: Mexican plant health officials; importers, shippers, distributors, and handlers of fresh Hass avocados imported from Michoacan, MX, into the United States.
Estimated annual number of respondents: 3,058.
Estimated annual number of responses per respondent: 23,780.754.
Estimated annual number of responses: 72,721,546.
Estimated total annual burden on respondents: 4,823 hours. (Due to averaging, the total annual burden hours may not equal the product of the annual number of responses multiplied by the reporting burden per response.)
All responses to this notice will be summarized and included in the request for OMB approval. All comments will also become a matter of public record.Start Signature
Done in Washington, DC, this 18th day of August 2004.
Acting Administrator, Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service.
[FR Doc. 04-19237 Filed 8-20-04; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 3410-34-P