Request OMB approval: screening requirements of carriers; OMB-16-1651-0122.
The Department of Homeland Security, Bureau of Customs and Border Protection has submitted the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and clearance in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The information collection was previously published in the Federal Register on September 3, 2004 at 69 FR 171, allowing for a 60-day public comment period. No comments were received by CIS on this information collection.
The purpose of this notice is to allow an additional 30 days for public comments. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted until November 15, 2004. This process is conducted in accordance with 5 CFR 1320.10.
Written comments and/or suggestions regarding the items contained in this notice should be directed to the Office of Management and Budget, Attn: Desk Officer for Homeland Security, Office of Management and Budget Room 10235, Washington, DC 20503; telephone 202-395-7316. The Office of Management and Budget is particularly interested in comments which:
(1) Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of the agency's estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of this information collection:
(1) Type of Information Collection: Extension of a currently approved information collection.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: Screening Requirements for Carriers.
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department of Homeland Security sponsoring the collection: No Agency Form Number; File No. OMB-16, Bureau of Customs and Protection.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: Business or other for-profit. The evidence collected is used by DHS to determine whether sufficient steps were taken by a carrier demonstrating improvement in the screening of its passengers in order for the carrier to be eligible for automatic fines mitigation.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: 65 responses at 100 hours per response.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: 6,500 annual burden hours.
If you have additional comments, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions, or additional information, please contact Richard A. Sloan 202-616-7600, Director, Regulatory Management Division, Department of Homeland Security, 111 Massachusetts Avenue, NW., Washington, DC 20529. Additionally, comments and/or suggestions regarding the item(s) contained in this notice, especially regarding the estimated public burden and associated response time may also be directed to Mr. Richard A. Sloan.Start Signature
Dated: October 7, 2004.
Richard A. Sloan,
Department Clearance Officer, Department of Homeland Security, Bureau of Citizenship and Immigrant Services.
[FR Doc. 04-23041 Filed 10-13-04; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-10-M