Department of Defense (DoD).
DoD has issued a final rule amending the Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement (DFARS) to update text pertaining to research and development contracting. This rule is a result of a transformation initiative undertaken by DoD to dramatically change the purpose and content of the DFARS.
November 10, 2004.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Ms. Robin Schulze, Defense Acquisition Regulations Council, OUSD (AT&L) DPAP (DAR), IMD 3C132, 3062 Defense Pentagon, Washington, DC 20301-3062. Telephone (703) 602-0326; facsimile (703) 602-0350. Please cite DFARS Case 2003-D067.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
DFARS Transformation is a major DoD initiative to dramatically change the purpose and content of the DFARS. The objective is to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the acquisition process, while allowing the acquisition workforce the flexibility to innovate. The transformed DFARS will contain only requirements of law, DoD-wide policies, delegations of FAR authorities, deviations from FAR requirements, and policies/procedures that have a significant effect beyond the internal operating procedures of DoD or a significant cost or administrative impact on contractors or offerors. Additional information on the DFARS Transformation initiative is available at http://www.acq.osd.mil/dpap/dfars/transf.htm.
This final rule is a result of the DFARS Transformation initiative. The DFARS changes include—
- Updating of a statutory reference at DFARS 235.006-70.
- Deletion of unnecessary text at DFARS 235.007 and 235.015.
- Deletion of text at DFARS 235.010 regarding DoD maintenance of scientific and technical reports. Text on this subject has been relocated to the new DFARS companion resource, Procedures, Guidance, and Information (PGI), available at http://www.acq.osd.mil/dpap/dars/pgi.
- Updating of administrative information at DFARS 235.017-1 and 252.235-7011.
DoD published a proposed rule at 69 FR 8158 on February 23, 2004. DoD received no comments on the proposed rule. Therefore, DoD has adopted the proposed rule as a final rule without change.
This rule was not subject to Office of Management and Budget review under Executive Order 12866, dated September 30, 1993.
B. Regulatory Flexibility Act
DoD certifies that this final rule will not have a significant economic impact on a substantial number of small entities within the meaning of the Regulatory Flexibility Act, 5 U.S.C. 601, et seq., because the rule updates administrative information, and deletes DFARS text that is unnecessary or procedural, but makes no significant change to contracting policy.
C. Paperwork Reduction Act
The Paperwork Reduction Act does not apply because the rule does not impose any information collection requirements that require the approval of the Office of Management and Budget under 44 U.S.C. 3501, et seq.Start List of Subjects
List of Subjects in 48 CFR Parts 235 and 252End List of Subjects Start Signature
Michele P. Peterson,
Executive Editor, Defense Acquisition Regulations Council.
Therefore,End Amendment Part Start Amendment Part
1. The authority citation forEnd Amendment Part Start Part Start Printed Page 65092
PART 235—RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT CONTRACTING
2. Section 235.006-70 is amended in the introductory text by removing “End Amendment Part
3. Section 235.007 is removed.End Amendment Part Start Amendment Part
4. Section 235.010 is revised to read as follows:End Amendment Part
(b) For DoD, the Defense Technical Information Center is responsible for collecting all scientific and technical reports. For access to these reports, follow the procedures at PGI 235.010(b).
5. Section 235.015 is removed.End Amendment Part
6. Section 235.017-1 is amended in paragraph (c)(4) by revising the first parenthetical to read “(C3I Laboratory operated by the Institute for Defense Analysis, Lincoln Laboratory operated by Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and Software Engineering Institute operated by Carnegie Mellon)”.End Amendment Part Start Part
PART 252—SOLICITATION PROVISIONS AND CONTRACT CLAUSESEnd Part Start Amendment Part
7. Section 252.235-7011 is revised to read as follows:End Amendment Part
As prescribed in 235.071(d), use the following clause: FINAL SCIENTIFIC OR TECHNICAL REPORT (NOV 2004)
The Contractor shall—
(a) Submit two copies of the approved scientific or technical report delivered under this contract to the Defense Technical Information Center, Attn: DTIC-O, 8725 John J. Kingman Road, Fort Belvoir, VA 22060-6218;
(b) Include a completed Standard Form 298, Report Documentation Page, with each copy of the report; and
(c) For submission of reports in other than paper copy, contact the Defense Technical Information Center or follow the instructions at http://www.dtic.mil.
(End of clause)
[FR Doc. 04-24863 Filed 11-9-04; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 5001-08-P