Rural Utilities Service, USDA.
The Rural Utilities Service (RUS) is proposing regulations implementing its financial assistance programs for rural communities with extremely high energy costs. These programs are authorized under section 19 of the Rural Electrification Act of 1936, as amended (7 U.S.C. 918a). This proposed rule is intended to establish and clarify eligibility and application requirements, the review and approval process, and grant administration procedures for RUS grants to rural communities with extremely high energy costs and for grants to State entities for bulk fuel revolving loan funds. This publication of these rules will assure timely and effective distribution of grant funds to eligible rural communities and state entities. In the final rule section of this Federal Register, RUS is publishing this action as a direct final rule without prior proposal because RUS views this as a non-controversial action and anticipates no adverse comments. If no adverse comments are received in response to the direct final rule, no further action will be taken on this proposed rule and the action will become effective at the time specified in the direct final rule. If RUS receives adverse comments, RUS will publish a timely notice withdrawing the direct final rule based on this action. Any parties interested in commenting on this proposed action should do so at this time.
Comments on this proposed action must be received on or before March 4, 2005.
Submit your adverse comments or notice of intent to submit adverse comments by any of the following methods:
- Federal eRulemaking Portal: Go to http://www.regulations.gov. Follow the online instruction for submitting comments.
- Agency Web site: http://www. usda.;gov/rus/index2.Comments.htm. Follow the instructions for submitting comments.
- E-mail: RUSComments@usda.gov. Include in the subject line of the message “7 CFR 1700 and 1709.”
- Mail: Addressed to Richard Annan, Acting Director, Program Development and Regulatory Analysis, Rural Utilities Service, United States Department of Agriculture, 1400 Independence Avenue, STOP 1522, Washington, DC 20250-1522.
- Hand Delivery/Courier: Addressed to Richard Annan, Acting Director, Program Development and Regulatory Analysis, Rural Utilities Service, United States Department of Agriculture, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW., Room 5168-S, Washington, DC 20250-1522.
Instructions: RUS requests a signed original and three copies of all written comments (7 CFR 1700.4). Comments may also be submitted by e-mail at RUSComments@usda.gov and must contain the phrase “High Cost Energy Grants” in the subject line. All comments received must identify the name of the individual (and the name of the entity, if applicable) who is submitting the comment. All comments received will be posted without changes to http://www.usda.gov.rus.index2.Comments.htm, including any personal information provided. All comments will also be available for public inspection during regular business hours (7 CFR 1.27(b)).Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Karen Larsen, Management Analyst, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Rural Utilities Service, Electric Program, 1400 Independence Ave., SW., Stop 1560, Room 5165-S, Washington, DC 20250-1560. Telephone (202) 720-9545, Fax (202) 690-0717, e-mail address: Karen.Larsen@usda.gov.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
See the Supplementary Information provided in the direct final rule located in the final rule section of this Federal Register for the applicable supplementary information on this section.Start Signature
Dated: January 13, 2005.
Hilda Gay Legg,
Administrator, Rural Utilities Service.
[FR Doc. 05-1879 Filed 2-1-05; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 3410-15-P